Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yoyoma_gw

OK to start in Winter?

yoyoma
14 years ago

So I finally have a rectangular raised container and drip system ready to go in the east bay, CA, and would like to plant basil, parsley, cilantro, chives, dill and thyme, but is this doable now that it's almost winter? It doesn't snow here, but can get pretty chilly at night. Thanks.

Comments (6)

• forestelves
    14 years ago

How low at night below 30 or a wind chill that is below 30 then No. If it is 45 and up or warm wind chill night then YES, but I would put a plastic cover over the seeds to warm the seeds to grow and wait tell they are an inch or 3 inches tall to remove the plastic.

If you can grow the herbs in Northern Window in the house and actually pet the herbs so they strengthen up and aren't thin and useless that will die. You pet the plant, because you are the wind or you can put a fan next to the plants just like the nursery use to cool down the nursery which also helps strengthen plants.
    I would use artificial housing and wind to grow your herbs to be safe and then you donÂt have to go out on a chilly day to pick herbs.

• shansgarden
    14 years ago

I'm just over in Oakland, and we're just starting to get our freezes for the season. If you're further east (say Concord), I think you're freezes are harder than mine.

You might be better off waiting until February to plant out the herb seeds--just before our spring, or you could try winter sowing them in milk jugs to give them a head start --the winter sowing forum has a lot of how-to info for this option.

• yoyoma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, I am right next to Oakland on the other side of the hill. I was thinking of planting herb plants from the nursery, not from seeds. Would they be more likely to survive? Or should I be planting seeds later instead?

• shansgarden
    14 years ago

Transplants should be fine--I've got thyme out that I transplanted in mid-October, and it's perfectly happy (it's not putting out new growth right now, but it's very healthy). I've also got sage cuttings, rosemary, and oregano with the same story--green and sleepy. I would say give them a little extra protection when we get frost warnings (like a row cover) until they get established, but otherwise, they should be fine.

• hitexplanter
    14 years ago

The basil is the only one from your choices that will struggle at best during the cool of winter. The rest should be fine over all. I suggest waiting til your weather is in the 40-50 average night temps before keeping basil outside. Or create a separate area (container) because of the need for warmer temps than the rest of your choices.
    Happy Growing David

• yoyoma
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone. Recently it has been really cold, first time snow sticking on the ground in at least 20 years. It melted by afternoon, but I think I'll wait a bit before planting some transplants except basil, which I'll wait until spring.