Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wayne_county_man

Chinese Chives not germinating! Help?

wayne_county_man
12 years ago

Had no success getting the seeds to germinate. Any suugestions?

Comments (10)

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

How are you trying to grow them? I did average indoor seed starting techniques in late winter/early spring with these and had great success.

FataMorgana

• wayne_county_man
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did the traditional seed flat method under fluorescent lights - no luck. I tried outside in a pot - no luck. I am a pretty experienced seed starter. Just wondering if there are special methods for germinating the seeds (e.g. Refrigerator for a couple of weeks). I am beginning to speculate bad batch of seed. Sure is a shame because this was a large package of seed. :-(

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I did nothing special. No pretreatment and started them in indoor seed flats under lights. They were even seeds I got at a seed swap and weren't anything fancy. I would try other seeds.

FataMorgana

• wayne_county_man
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yeah - that's what I was thinking. It was a large bag of seed from china. Maybe they roasted the seeds or something (for cooking).

Oh well - Thanks for the response.

• t-bird
    12 years ago

I had a hard time with these as well. What I did was take a plasted food container from take out, with a lid and seeled it up.

They do take a very long time to germinate, and the constant moisture is important.

• wally_1936
    12 years ago

If you keep having problems getting the seeds to sprout just maybe it will be cheaper to just buy a plant and place that in the ground. In my area it re-seeds itself and I have to put it up to keep it from taking over my herb bed. I have found for me in this area it does not do will in our spring-summer season but does best here in our fall season but once established it grows great.

• kk1515
    12 years ago

chinese chives aka garlic chives are used in traditional chinese medicine as a yang tonic with an affinity for the lungs. if they won't sprout, throw em out and start over. even easier to get a start from a friend or garden center.

• Trishcuit
    12 years ago

It was a large bag of seed from china

Well there's your answer right there. They have a reputation of reputable quality goods. Who knows WHAT they've been through?
    Note: this is NOT a racist comment. Just one based on observation of Chinese goods in general over recent years.

Luckily a pack of garlic chive seeds is easy to find and cheap.

• James Cua
    4 years ago

in philippines, we got 2 season. rain or shine. i failed to germinate chive for almost 9 months now, and i cant find a growing plant around my neighborhood. have use seed from different vendors and have mix several growing soil. but no success. once i read about keeping seed in darkness. which i got some 10 sprout out of 50 seeds and i cant duplicate that after. some luch. now i still get 5 food boxes of seeds under germination for over a month now.

our temp now is 24 to 28 deg C. should be perfect. what else there to try?

• Abhilasha Singh
    last year

I got mine from reputed seller and never got to see a single sprout. Wondering if there is a special season or way of doing it.