Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potted lavender seems to be dying off indoors

Posted by WonderWeasel none (Soulfly865@aim.com) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 1:55

Hello--

I have a 3 year-old 'Vera' Lavender plant (Lavandula angustifolia I believe is the proper name). It is potted, and since we occasionally have harsh winters here in Kansas City, I bring it indoors for the winter. In the past, this has not been much of a problem, because the plant was small enough to fit under supplemental grow lights, and I could limp it through the winter. This year, I don't have enough room to fit it under lights, so it is in an east-facing window that gets decent light in the mornings through the early afternoon. I acclimated the plant before I brought it indoors, and it seemed to adjust well for the first month and a half. As of the past couple of weeks, large canes have been dying off. My question is this: Will a lavender plant go dormant without full daylight/supplemental light, or is this something I should be worried about? I can include a picture, if that would help. Thanks for any and all advice!

--Jordan (WonderWeasel)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potted lavender seems to be dying off indoors

First question: Is it getting too much water?

o

Hi westelle--

I have a moisture meter I use, and it is rarely ever watered. Over the past couple of months that it's been indoors, I've only had to water it twice. It has a pretty large (either 15 or 20 gallon) container.

o

I've had this happen to Lavender, but planted in the ground outside. I wonder if your plant is getting old. Maybe you need to give it a hard pruning. I pruned one down to the ground and had it come back better than ever. This is just a thought tho'.

o

That is definitely a possibility, because it does seem to be mostly the older branches that are beginning to die off. They may just be doing it faster because the plant's photosynthesis process is basically ground to a halt at this time of year.

o

I attached a pic so you can see how it's dying off.

o

It's old.

o

Several days later, the plant seems to be dormant. It still has several green branches, and it appears the dying off has stopped. I'm so glad it seems my plant was just going through a "mid-life crisis" lol. Thanks again for all of your input, westelle!

--Jordan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here