Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herbal Tea

Posted by leonardocorn_8 8 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 29, 12 at 2:25

I'm thinking of growing an herbal tea garden this spring. Does anyone have any suggestions of good plants to grow for herbal tea? I grew chamomile last year and somewhat failed, but still enjoyed the little that I did get to have. I wish to continue growing those, if anyone has any tips, that would also be appreciated. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herbal Tea

I would suggest searching through and reading back posts here. Herbal tea gardening has been discussed many times and you will surely enjoy the back posts.

Other than that, what do you like or want to get out of your garden? Medicinal teas? Teas for pleasure? A little of both? What flavors/teas do you already like? And what kind of growing conditions? A little more info will help us to make better suggestions.

FataMorgana

o

A little of both I suppose. I enjoyed any kind of tea, so I'm more asking for the opinions of others. I plan to grow it in a pot with regular potting soil, since our soil is somewhat sandy. But, if sandy soil is more preferable, I can do that as well. I'm in zone 8.

o

For tea, I grow various mints, lemon grass and stinging nettle. Everything else I use for tea, I buy from stores.

o

Different types of Mint
Lemon balm
Lemon verbena
Culinary Sages
Thymes

o

Others to maybe try in your zone...bee balm, roselle, raspberry, mountain mint, chamomile, rose, dandelion, licorice, catnip, red clover, stevia, tulsi, chicory, ....

Be sure to check the medicinal effects out of any herb before consuming. Even those often drank for pleasure have effects that one should know about before using. Plants for a Future site will give you a decent intro to the uses and growing needs of anything we've listed here so far.

FataMorgana

o

My chamomile did only so so as well..for the last 4 years attempting. I'm now in zone 8, had NO trouble growing it in many of the colder zones I've lived. This year I'm wanting to try greek chamomile -a perannual instead of the annual German. Suppost to be stronger but easier to grow. Any thoughts?

o

I've personally had better luck with German chamomile but then I live in a cooler zone.

FataMorgana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here