Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slashy

Herb oils & vinegars

slashy
16 years ago

Hi all,

Given how much I've gotten into gardening this year I'd like to give gifts over Christmas that come from my garden (Southern hemisphere, so currently all the herbs are fresh). One idea I had was to give little sets of flavoured oils & vinegars with a hand-made recipe leaflet.

I figure you'd all have some really good pointers for how to go about that!

Some reading on the net tells me I need to avoid putting any fresh herbs into oil to flavour it as the water contained within can harbour botulism (NOT the gift I want to give!). What would be the best herbs to dry for a nice-flavoured olive oil? I'm leaning towards rosemary as I have plenty of it and I'm pretty sure I could dry it (although I haven't tried yet). How long do you think it would take for the rosemary to dry before it would be safe to use?

Also I'd love to hear any recipes or suggestions you have for either the flavoured oils & vinegars themselves or for uses for them (ie salad dressings, marinades etc)!

The herbs I have growing are: sweet, opal & thai basil, rosemary, oregano, sage, many mints, lemongrass, parsley & thyme.

Thanks heaps!

-Slashy

Comments (3)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It may be better to 'pickle' the herbs instead. Basically, use a good quality vinegar, wine, balsamic, etc. and add herbs to these. Oils like olive tend to go rancid if they are not used quickly. I was making some tarragon vinegar using water clear white balsamic vinegar. Also, rosemary and other fresh herbs can be used as there is no issue with botulism if they are in an acid environment like straight vinegar. To add extra herb strength, simmer lightly, the vinegar with some of the same herbs, then strain while pouring into bottles that have some of the same whole herb sprigs added. Here is a site that sells some nice narrow necked bottles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Narrow necked botlles

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Here are some ideas for herb vinegar, but don't limit yourself to these - use what appeals to you:

Herb Vinegars
    Fill pretty bottles with wine vinegar or cider vinegar, add a large sprig of herb, seal and leave on a sunny windowsill for about 2 weeks. Remove the herb and replace it with a fresh sprig. Use the vinegar as desired in cooking or for hair rinses etc. To make vinaigrette, add oil. Try some of the following combinations:

Coriander leaf, garlic, and rice vinegar
    Borage, dill, shallots, and white wine vinegar
    Sage, parsley, shallots, and red wine vinegar
    Mint, honey, cardamom seed, and white vinegar
    Rosemary, raisins, orange peel, garlic, and white wine vinegar
    Chillies or capsicum, garlic, oregano, and cider vinegar
    Savory, chive blossom, and cider vinegar
    Dill, nasturtiums, garlic, and cider vinegar
    Fennel leaf, garlic, parsley, and white wine vinegar
    Rose petals, violet petals, and rice vinegar
    Tarragon and white wine vinegar
    Tarragon, rose petals and white wine vinegar
    Thyme and white wine vinegar
    Raspberry leaves and white wine vinegar

Flower Vinegar
    Many different flowers may be used to make a vinegar that is delicious and delicately tinted. Roses, violets, primroses, nasturtiums, lavender, clover, elder flowers, rosemary, or thyme flowers are all good choices.

Remove the stems and the green and white heels from the flowers or petals. If using large flowers, fill a wide-mouthed jar half or two-thirds full with the flowers, then pour either a good white wine vinegar or cider vinegar over the flowers to fill the jar, making sure the flowers are completely covered. The blossoms will sink to the bottom of the jar within a few days. When this occurs, you can add more flowers if you wish. Taste the vinegar regularly until it achieves the strength you want. Rebottle in clean, smaller bottles, adding fresh smaller food flowers to the liquid for decoration. If using small flowers, simply insert them into the bottle of vinegar without decanting it. A cup of flowers to 600ml of vinegar serves well. If possible, leave the jar or bottle of vinegar with the flowers added in the sun - it will help draw out the flavour of the blooms while they steep. Best if kept refrigerated.

You could add this if you printed it out prettily:

Uses for Herb Vinegars
    Basil Vinegar: Stir-fried vegetables; tomato salad; tomato soup; "overnight" pickles of marinated slices of carrot, cucumber, peppers, etc.

Chives Vinegar: Whenever onion flavour is desired; egg salad; cooked broccoli or Brussels sprouts; marinades.

Dill Vinegar: Cooked beetrrot or cabbage; three-bean salad; coleslaw; potato salad; poaching eggs or fish; cucumber salad.

Garlic Vinegar: Green salads; vegetable salads; spinach; marinade for sauerbraten.

Lemon Thyme Vinegar: Mayonnaise; fish and fish salads; stirfry vegetables.

Mint Vinegar: Stir into mayonnaise or whipped cream for fruit salad; sauce for lamb; fruit gelatin; fruit punch.

Nasturtium Vinegar: Whenever peppery flavour is desired; pickled eggs; meats before grilling; green bean salad.

Oregano Vinegar: Scrambled eggs; salads; pizza

Raspberry Vinegar: Spinach salad; baked pears or apples; hot chicken; meat marinade; add to yoghurt for fruit salad; add to soda or tonic water for a refreshing drink (1 tablespoon per glass).

Rosemary Vinegar: Pork or lamb marinade; tomato and cucumber salad; orange and onion salad; fried potatoes; fruits.

Tarragon or Winter Tarragon Vinegar: Chicken; crabmeat and tuna salads; vegetable juice cocktail; chicken gravy; hollandaise and bearnaise sauces; peas and;onions combined; green salads.

Salad Burnet Vinegar: Cucumber flavor without indigestion; salads; clear or potato soup.

Mixed Herb Vinegar: Crisp green salads; bean soup; cooked green beans.

Consider herbal oils for external use only:

Pack a jar with fresh herb and pour in enough olive oil to completely cover. Leave on a sunny window sill for 2-6 weeks. Strain liquid into another jar through a fine cloth or coffee filter, seal and label bottles. Use as a massage oil or add to creams and lotions.
    OR
    Heat about 280g dried herb or 840g fresh herb in about 700ml oil in a double boiler for 2-3 hours. Strain off the solid matter.

Or for culinary use, try doing the oil this way. Use olive or canola oil for best results.

Hot Infused Oil

Place a ratio of 2 cups oil to 1 cup of dried herbs/ 2 cups fresh herbs, in a glass bowl over a pot of simmering water. Slowly heat on low for approximately 3 hours, and strain into a bowl. Transfer liquid into dark bottles, cap, and place in a cool, dark place. Sniff it occasionally, and if it smells rancid, toss it out.

• slashy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cool, sounds like vinegars it shall be! Definitely want something that will last a little while. I think I'll try mixing up 10 or so large batches and then give people little assortments of perhaps three each for Christmas...

Daisyduckworth, those instructions are excellent! Thanks heaps.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting