Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeanine_gurley

what do you do with your fennel

Jeanine Gurley
14 years ago

I originally planted fennel for the butterflies and because it is a beautiful plant. Now I am trying to figure out how to use it in the kitchen.

I buy some ground sheep sausage that has fennel in it and it tastes great! I have been reading about fennel in recipes but I am still uncertain as to how to use it.

Do you use the feathery parts? The stalks and root? I don't have any seeds as the caterpillars ate all of them.

Please tell me how you use fennel in your kitchen.

Comments (9)

• fatamorgana2121
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Too bad you didn't get any seed because I believe the sausage has fennel seed in it rather than the other parts of the plant.

Fennel *can* be a perennial and perhaps you will get some seeds next year.

FataMorgana

• shansgarden
    14 years ago

When I had fennel in my old yard, I used the feathery parts in scrambled eggs--yum!

• Daisyduckworth
    14 years ago

The entire plant is edible. Seeds are added to sausages and baked goods; the leaves are used with fish, vegetables, cheese spreads and soups. Fennel can be used in/with salads, sausage, pork, duck, fish, cabbage, cucumber, onion, herb butter, cheese spread; seeds in desserts and breads. The greens can be used almost interchangeably with dill and the seeds can be used ground in lentil soups, whole in boiling water for rice and brussels sprouts. Seeds and leaves used with fish, in soups, salads and dressings.

The bulb that forms at the base of the leaves can be used raw (eg. sliced or grated in a salad) or cooked as a vegetable. Delicious roasted whole.

To use the Fennel bulb, slice the white part down the middle and remove the core and any really tough outer leaves. Wash carefully because sometimes dirt sifts down between the layers. The delicate flavour of the bulb works well with all kinds of vegges. Try it in a potato gratin.

While common fennel will produce bulbs, they are generally of inferior quality. The bulbs you buy at the supermarket are usually those of Florence Fennel, which is grown specifically for the bulb.

Common fennel is botanically classified as a perennial. Florence Fennel is classified as an annual.

Use fennel seeds instead of poppy or sesame seeds on bread.

Boil sliced fennel in salted water until just tender, coat in egg and breadcrumbs and fry in plenty of hot oil. Sprinkle with salt if desired when cooked, and serve immediately.

Chopped fennel leaves go well with seafood, cheeses and vegetables such as cabbage, carrots, celery, zucchini, cucumber, leek, spinach or onions. Add a few seeds to dried figs, apples, pears, plums or quinces.

Add some raw, sliced fennel to fish dishes.

Fennel flowers have a mild, liquorice flavour and a sweet aroma. Serve with fish, creamy sauces, potatoes and salads.

Fennel also has medicinal uses. Excellent digestive, suitable for babies in tiny doses. Also used to treat respiratory congestion, conjunctivitis, styes, diarrhoea, cystitis and other urinary tract infections, to eliminate hookworms, to increase flow of breast milk, as a soothing eyewash and the chewed seeds will freshen the breath. It is also used to reduce appetite in slimming regimes. Helpful for cancer patients after radiation and chemotherapy. May improve the libido in both males and females. Fennel oil can be rubbed over painful joints to relieve rheumatism and may be added to gargles for hoarseness and sore throat and cough.

Warning: High doses of fennel may cause muscular spasms and hallucinations. This is particularly true if the oil is used. Use seeds in moderation and avoid the seeds if you have a history of allergies or skin sensitivities. Because of its hormonal action, it is best avoided by pregnant women, or those with oestrogen-dependent cancer. Best avoided by people with a history of alcoholism, hepatitis or liver disease. Avoid fennel if you have been advised not to take birth control pills. Do not use essential oil undiluted on skin, if pregnant, or if suffering from epilepsy. Occasionally, post-menopausal women might have some menstrual flow after taking fennel regularly. If this occurs, report it to your doctor.

• mary grether
    14 years ago

Thank you about fennel,

• Jeanine Gurley
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I will try some tomorrow in salad to start with. Fennel has wintered over here, so far, and I have not wanted to disturb the bulbs just yet. This year it has been spreading out enough that I am almost ready to sacrifice a whole plant for the table. It is much prettier in the winter - it seems to perk up a little. Probably because the caterpillars aren't all over it now that it is cooler.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

I love the flavor of raw fennel, but it is too strong for some people. Cooking it really makes it mild. I love it roasted after being coated with a bit of olive oil, S+P. It is sooo good in stews, too.

• tracydr
    14 years ago

I haven't tried growing it here yet as I've read the fennel root doesn't do well. I may try the fennel herb during the cool weather. I purchase fennel root from the farmers market. I prefer it cooked but use the leaves as fresh herbs for garnish. It's a little to much anise flavor raw for me.
    My dogs however go wild over the raw roots and branches! One of their very favorite veggie snacks.
    My favorite fennel recipe is a leek, fennel,potatoe soup. My second favorite is fennel and white bean soup.
    I found the base of my recipes on All Recipes.com and modified them to suit our tastes. (added a habanero, etc.)

• patsycollins
    14 years ago

I grow the bronze type as an ornamental and to attract birds and insects. I use the leaves as a garnish and the seeds and leaves to make tea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fennel

• jane_socal
    14 years ago

In France, the fragrant smoke from dried fennel stalks is sometimes used on the grill to enhance the flavor of fish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grilled fish the Mediterranean way