Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any words of wisdom on starting comfrey from seed?

Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 22, 11 at 10:06

these are fairly pricy - 10 seeds for $4 - so not a lot of room for error....

says "sow in cool soils of early spring with germ in 30 days as soil warms. Or, give 30 days refridgeration in moist soil in a sealed plastic bag or glass jar and then sow in the garden or in pots"

Strange details!

anyone with success? Thinking this may be a candidate for "winter sowing" out of doors....will also trouble that community for advice, have never winter sown, it seems alien to me, lol! But this seed seems to call for it....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any words of wisdom on starting comfrey from seed?

Do you desire a particular variety not available in plants or root cuttings? Because that is how I usually see comfrey for sale instead of seeds. If your seeds don't work out, check out Richters or Horizon Herbs for plants and roots for sale.

I've no experience in comfrey seed-starting. I've always gotten it in plants or root cuttings. I would guess most have similar experiences.

FataMorgana

o

• Posted by t-bird Chicago 5/6 (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 23, 11 at 7:29

Thanks FataM - I'm just cheap I guess.....

In particular, the bocking 17 (14?) sometimes called russian is highly sought after as it is sterile (thus from roots/cuttings) and non aggressive, as the regular comfrey is.

I'm going with the regular "true comfrey" as getting that bocking #?? is so pricey, but I really want the comfrey for it's composting abilities, and as mulch, and hope to use it as aggressively as it tries to invade....

Also - will have on hand readily for topical application for injuries.....

o

re your 'Oregano that ate Chicago'. Watch out for the Comfrey - when happy it will eat the Oregano first and then eat Chicago. Here it grows wild by rivers and in wet ditches. That tells you the conditions it likes. It grows a good 3 feet tall and wide, lush with a huge tap root. Not a Mediterranean-type herb at all. As for the price: for Symphytum officinale, basically a weed, that sounds like a massive rip-off to me.

I have the Bocking variety, and although it does not seed it certainly spreads and will grow from any scrap of root.

I grow it for compost and liquid fertiliser. If you are considering using it medicinally you need to be aware that it is potentially dangerous and needs expert knowledge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here