Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a water filter be used to change pH of water?

Posted by Rick7072 none (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 10:48

I know that I need to lower the pH of the water I use for my indoor herb garden (basil, thyme, oregano), and I've gotten suggestions to use products such as PH Down. But I wonder if it's possible to install a water filter on my tap that can lower the pH. Does anyone know anything about doing this? Brita filters, reverse osmosis, etc? Thanks for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a water filter be used to change pH of water?

Nope, filters won't do it.

o

Filters can remove salts and minerals that affect the pH of water. The pH of highly purified water is hard to measure, due to the lack of ions present. You could buffer your water with the addition of low salt concentrations to obtain the desired pH. I am guessing that you are looking to obtain a neutral pH and so the addition of phosphates could help.

o

Thanks, chervil2. So am I right to think that a water filter would not DIRECTLY lower the pH, but by removing salts and minerals it would have the indirect consequence of lowering it? I think you're saying that I could EITHER use a a filter OR add low salt concentrations, and that either of these could/would have the effect of lowering the pH?

Or ... do I need to do both? I bought a product at a hydroponics store called PH Down and then called the manufacturer with advice on how to use it. When I told him of my 9.1 pH, he said that just using the solution would only work temporarily, that after a day or so the pH would most likely float right back up because of the probable high level of total dissolved solids. He said that I would have to first use a filter to remove the salts and minerals, and THEN the Ph Down would then be able to permanently lower the pH. Does that sound about right to you?

I'm pretty sure my water has a high content of sodium carbonate.

btw, what does it mean to "buffer" my water?

Thanks much for your help on this -- this is all learn-as-you-go for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here