Costmary aka Bible Leaf - Tanacetum balsamita
White Borage - Borago officinalis 'alba'
Comfrey - Symphytum officinale
Yellow Lavender - Lavandula Viridis
Spanish Lavender - Lavandula stoechas
White Lavender - Lavandula angustifolia 'Nana Alba'
Milk Thistle - Silybum marianum
Mugwort - Artemisia vulgaris
Milkweed/Butterflyweed aka Pleurisy Root - Other species than A. tubrosa and A. syriaca
White Sage - Salvia apiana
Saltwort - Batis maritima
Italian Bugloss (Anchusa azurea)
Anise, Star - Illicuim verum
Arrowhead - Sagittaria sagittifolia
Rosemary (Italian and Reguler) - Rosmarinus officinalis
Rosemary, Salem - Rosmarinus officinalis -Salem�-
Anchusa - Any Variety
Sandspurry, Common - Arenaria rubra
Agrimonia or Agrimony - Agrimonia Eupatoria
Sweet Cicely - Myrrhis odorata
Balsam of Gilead or Balm - Commiphora Opobalsamum
Bay Laurel - Laurus nobilis
Horehound - Marrubium vulgare
Uva Ursi/Bearberry - Arctostaphylos uva-ursi
Scented Geranium - Pelargonium graveolens
West-Indian Arrowroot - Maranta arundinacea
Velvet Bean - Mucuna pruriens
Climbing Milkweed - Matelea decipiens
Blessed Thistle - Cnicus benedictus
Unusual Herbs - The More 'Different', or Native to Other Countries, The Better!

And this is just the short form - I'm open to suggestions!

TIA! Stacy

Comments (14)

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Richters and Horizon Herbs can help you out!

FataMorgana

stardrifting thanked fatamorgana2121
  • barbe_wa
    9 years ago

Nichols Garden Nursery also has a lot of them. That's where I got most of mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nichols Garden Nursery

stardrifting thanked barbe_wa
  • bardamu_gw
    9 years ago

I second horizon herbs for seed, and non-seed plants like bay from colonial creek nursery website.

stardrifting thanked bardamu_gw
  • herbalbetty
    9 years ago

Also check out Crimson Sage and Companion Plants.

stardrifting thanked herbalbetty
  • weedlady
    9 years ago

Also, some of those you list are native wildflowers. Try Natives in Harmony in Harmony, Ohio, Prairie Nursery in Westfield, Wisconsin or just Google "Wildflower Nurseries" for a lot of others. You did not mention what state you are in, but I saw listings for nurseries from a variety of states.

stardrifting thanked weedlady
  • fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

Prairie Moon Nursery is awesome for native seeds and plants.

FataMorgana

stardrifting thanked fatamorgana2121
  • barbarag_happy
    8 years ago

Seeds of white borage available from J L Hudson Seedsman. Very beautiful and just as easy to grow-- with enough moisture-- as the blue borage. Place it in the vegetable or flower garden too.

stardrifting thanked barbarag_happy
  • weedlady
    8 years ago

Other plants in stardrifting's original list besides mugwort that, in my experience, are spreaders and take up a lot of room or are abundant self-seeders are costmary (this one really sprawls!), milk thistle (seeds will germinate all around), anchusa (I have seen this take over a roadside area), agrimony, and sweet cicely. These last two do not spread terribly fast, but they do self-sow in my yard. Climbing milkweed, while a native and attractive to pollinators, can become a problem since of course the seeds drift off in the wind. Depending on how much room you have, including a greenhouse, and the various ecosystems in your yard (sun, shade, moist, dry) many in the list above are not practical to try to grow in zone 5. Be especially cautious with non-natives in that a species may be introduced here that can be detrimental to the local habitat. (Witness kudzu, Elaeagnus spp., vining & shrubby non-native honeysuckles, multiflora rose, and countless others!)

• barbe_wa
    8 years ago

I think oregano should be added to the list of invasives. I fight it constantly to keep it in bounds. And some people say they have a problem with chives although it's never been very aggressive in my garden.

stardrifting thanked barbe_wa
  • weedlady
    8 years ago

Ah, yes - chives and garlic chives both can spread themselves rather quickly given the chance, mostly by means of those thousands of seeds! The bulbs reproduce and spread outward, but not as quickly as the seeds make new plants. I (mostly!) deal with it by watching the flowers closely, and as soon as they begin to fade, clip them before the seed ripens. Easy to grub out new seedlings if you get 'em really young. :-) I root-prune vigorously-spreading oregano at least once a year.

• tripleione
    8 years ago

I've been growing oregano for years and never had an issue with it being invasive.

• barbe_wa
    8 years ago

tripleione, you're lucky! I have oregano popping up yards away from the herb garden. Just have to keep digging it out.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    8 years ago

Oregano may be aggressive but it isn't strictly speaking invasive unless it has started appearing in wild habitats and ousting the native flora.