Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
putri_gw

What fertilizer's best?

putri
16 years ago

Does anyone know which fertilizer's best for mints and rosemary?I heard fish emulsion's great, is that true?how should i use it? spray on the soil or on the plants? Oh by the way are fish emulsion able to be used on other plants other than herbs?

many thanks.

Comments (11)

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

Fish emulsion is basically the nitrogen componenet as well as a little phosphorous. It can be watered in and also sprayed. I buy dried fish meal and apply that with a spreader. I also use a Gardens Alive foliar spray which is from fish. Most any plant will benefit from it. For the herbs though, you may just want to water and not spray the leaves, as there is nothing worse than a fishy tasting rosemary... The instructions are usually printed on the package, as some are universal and can be used for soil as well as foliar. A granulated product is obviously not used as a foliar application. I also add kelp meal and humate to my soil. Corn gluten also is a great way to prevent weeds from sprouting in an herb patch, and it breaks down to nitrogen as well. I use it in my asparags patch and they get huge spears every spring.

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

A good handful of compost from time to time is as good a fertiliser as you can get.

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

Yeah, I barely ever fertilize my rosemary, it likes it on the lean-ish side.
    if you like liquid fertilizers over chicken manure or something, fish emulsion is great, but it stinks! :o) I don't use it indoors.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ok thanks for the info. yeah i just bought fish emulsion and smells really bad. i had to pinch my nose through the whole process of using it.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

You got the cheaper one if it smells bad. They do sell deodorized types too. My fish meal isn't a strong smell to me, but the next door neighbor said she could smell it after I applied it to my garden soil.

• Heathen1
    16 years ago

I got the deodorized Alaskan variety... only stinks for a day or so, but if it's deodorized, I'd hate to see the regular variety! GAK!

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

The more smelly it is, the better it works! Just like manure..

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

In my experience mint and rosemary grown outdoors require no fertiliser at all. In fact, for rosemary especially, overfeeding could be detrimental producing soft lush green growth more prone to damage by frost or wind and with a lower concentration of the volatile oils. Most mediterranean herbs are best grown 'hard'. Putri has still not explained why it is necessary for these plants to be indoors. Unless there is no outside space there is no good reason for them to be inside.

• putri
    Original Author
    16 years ago

i have an indoor garden as well, it's not real big bout 2x2 metres, it doesn't have an enclosed ceiling like regular rooms, it's like the outdoors only placed inside with the ceiling closed by a transparent surface from acrylic if i'm not mistaken. The only problem is that it gets a bit shady, the place only gets sunlight in the morning-noon.i wanted some herbs there so that the room would smell nice. i already have some aquatic plants and now want some cooking herbs cause the garden patch indoors is near the kitchen . But from most reviews i got it's believed that herbs won't do well indoors.
    any others plant suggestions?thank u.

• flora_uk
    16 years ago

Many herbs do not scent the air unless they are disturbed or rubbed. Only in very hot dry situations would rosemary, sage, thyme etc actually give off an appreciable smell. Mint smells of nothing until it is rubbed. Basil can smell pretty strong in hot weather without being touched. So if it's perfume you are after, flowers would be better. On the other hand if you are prepared to go in there and brush against stuff, then you will get your scents released. Your situation sounds pretty well anathema to rosemary but it could suit mints.

• ksrogers
    16 years ago

I recall some kind of bush, my old land lady had growing at the side of her house for many years. When walking buy, it smelled like baby powder, and I must assume that it is used to scent baby powder. I don't recall the name however. Here, thyme is quite strong and has very tiny leaves, you really start to smell it when you pick some.