Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of this??

Posted by MacheleM none (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 12:01

I brought my sage plants inside for winter & they starting growing mold. I also had those "fruit fly" bugs flying around & crawling in the soil. I sprinkled cinnamon on the top of the soil & let the soil completely dry out. After the soil was dry I watered with 3% hydrogen peroxide & water mixture. I don't see the flying bugs anymore... but what are these? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of this??

First point - we don't know where you live but sage is pretty hardy and doesn't need to come inside for the winter in most places. Bringing it indoors is likely to encourage pests because it is warm, correct watering is critical and there is no air circulation or predators. The sage in the picture appears etiolated too which shows it has insufficient light. A stressed plant is also going to be prey to pests and diseases.

The pest you have looks to me like a horrendous infestation of spider mites.

The mould would be a result of overwatering and insufficient air circulation.

The flying bugs were probably fungus gnats rather than fruit flies.

None of these pests would be a problem outdoors.

o

Will putting them back outside solve the problem with the mites?

o

Will putting them back outside solve the problem with the mites?

o

I wouldn't put it next to anything you want to survive.

Before you do anything else I would get a microfiber rag and dust the plant to remove those webs. Then get your kitchen sick sprayer and with the plant tilted to one side I would hose off all those bugs and eggs before I did anything else. Try not to overwater the soil while you do this. Then place it outside to
airdry.
Wait a day or two and see if you can find anymore webs/eggs/bugs.

o

Looking at your plant it is very young. If it fails you could just buy another one come warmer weather. When I lived in Michigan our plant was over 20 years and growing outside all the time with no care other than what mother-nature gave it. Here in the Houston area I usually take cuttings once it gets large enough. The cuttings are very easy to start as long as you keep the soil moist not wet. In a year or two you will have more than you can use but keep taking cutting to share or replace just in case.

o

"Will putting them back outside solve the problem with the mites?"

That depends on how long they have been inside and what the weather is like outside at the moment. If the plant has been indoors a while it will need to be hardened off to go back outside. The soft growth from indoor conditions will be vulnerable to outside weather. As a first step I'd do what flying_wahini suggested and then move the sage to the coolest, lightest spot you have inside. A glass porch would be good. It needs to be toughened up before going outside again. Your first post said plantS so maybe you can experiment with gradually acclimatising one of them to being outside?

o

Q: How to get rid of this??
A: Just get rid of it.
To me it is not worthwhile trying to save it at that condition. I would rather get another plant early spring . Keep it out side.

My sage is green and live after days of temps around 15F.( In ground, not in pot.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here