Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buckeyejoe

Herb to plant between stone walkway?

buckeyejoe
17 years ago

I just put in several stone pathways and I beleive I have heard of people puting an herb in the crackes so that you smell the herb when you walk on the plants and bruise the leaves. I have very sandy soil, so I would need something fairly dought tolerant. oregano, tyme ??? Any suggestions?

Joe

Southport, NC

Comments (12)

• Heathen1
    17 years ago

with sandy soil, can you HAVE more perfect conditions for thyme? Though, it's not a cactus and you'd have to water it moderately.

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Don't get the common thyme, however - it can grow quite tall. Go for one of the carpet thymes or a matting thyme. There are umpteen different ones to choose from.

• gborosteve
    17 years ago

There's also one like the thyme mentioned, but it's mint. And when you step on it, you can smell the scent (it's meant to be walked on). I wish I could remember the name, but it grows in a "mossy" state and is quite fragrant. I lost the ID tag that stuck in the bed with it.
    I planted it as a bed around my lavender, and it did really well. Both did.

• lori_londonuk
    17 years ago

I wonder if you mean Mentha requienii, aka corsican mint?

Here is a link that might be useful: Corsican mint

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Corsican mint likes a fair bit of water, though.

• neil_allen
    17 years ago

It could also be pennyroyal -- Mentha pulegium. It spreads vigorously, stays low, smells nice when stepped on. It can stand shade and soil that drains fairly quickly, although it likes water. It's not hardy in the coldest of northern winters, but I imagine that in coastal Carolina you get enough water and mild enough temperatures to keep it happy.

It was used as an old-time abortificant, and there are stories of fatalities when oil of pennyroyal has been used with that purpose in mind.

• Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Pennyroyal is one nasty herb and I won't have it at my place! I've seen pregnant women and dogs have fits after just smelling it - and those fits can cause abortion in susceptible women. You don't have to eat it for it to cause problems. I daresay that if you can absolutely guarantee that nobody visiting your place will be pregnant, epileptic, bring pets, or be in other ways susceptible to it, you could use it - but I personally wouldn't take the risk. I must say, however, that I like the smell of pennyroyal. Luckily, it doesn't affect me!

• songbirdmommy
    17 years ago

I just got my Wayside garden catalogue yesterday and in it is some thyme that is absolutely gorgeous!
    It is called Thymus serpyllum 'Coccineus' has beautiful magenta colored flowers all over it, short enough to put in between flagstone.
    wayside is REALLY expensive, but they do offer some very unusual things....
    and it is the first to arrive this year...yah!!

• nightingalemom
    17 years ago

I saw a neat-looking thyme in a nursery this year called "elfin thyme". It was so low-growing, it was practically flat! I definitely envisioned it being used betweeen stepping stones.

• janeevans
    17 years ago

Thymes would be perfect but you need to be aware of the many varieties which are available. I bought Elfin, wooly, minus, mother of Thyme and creeping pink last summer. These are creepers and if you have lots of sun ( no shade) they will be fabulous. None of these are culinary ( or should I say they are so tiny it wouldn't be worth eating.
    Oh I almost forgot, Doone Valley is also great- it is a varigated gold and green so it is colorful even when it isn't blooming.
    I bought mine when I was on vacation in Southwestern VA. We found an herb farm a couple of summers ago and visit once a year on my way to family in Ohio. On their website they have a picture which I think they call a persian carpet. It is their times in bloom in their dispay gardens.
    They have let the thymes spread over a walkway and the look is wonderful and the scent is heavenly.
    Thymes need great drainage, tons of sun, no fertilzer and once established NO watering. They are about the best low maintenace herb you can get.
    You mentioned oregano- I have one called nana and it is a crreper but it still gets a bit too high for a walkway.

I added the link to Beagle Ridge below.
    They are only open limited hours but it is well worth the drive. Don't think she mailorders plants but I don't order over the web so I have never checked. There is so much to do in the area we spend a day going to wineries, and the herb farm. She has classes so check out the schedule and enjoy your walkway.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beagle Ridge

• ninjabut
    17 years ago

I'm not sure these have herbs, they might, but they do have plants to plant between stones etc. Stepables.com
    Hmm, it's not showing a site! I'll have to look it up! Nancy

• amazon
    17 years ago

Hey janeevans, would you be willing to trade some plugs of thyme for some other plants? You can see my member page if interested.