Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_bird_gw

Early success with winter herbs.....

t-bird
12 years ago

Hi all -

I mentioned a while ago I was trying out some potted herbs for the winter.

I planted 9 seeds of basil aromatto and 9 of basil genevese in starter tray with lid. I've gotten 4 of the genevoses and 6 of the aromatto up...transplanted the 1st 4 of each into a large (9") container and still have them plastic bag tented under florescent lights ~14 hrs/day and whatever s. exposure can be had via a window. they have moved happily, but no true leaves as yet.

2 winter savories (2 planted) are up and 1 french thyme (2 planted). they likely get down to about 70 during the night, 68 minimum, and somewhere near 75-85 during the day I would think, with the lights and being tented. Sometime put them on the radiator if it isn't too hot....

These were all planted Dec 20/21, so pretty good success thus far, haven't given up on the other seeds.....summer savory, and some others....

I haven't planted my cool inhouse herbs as yet, but did winter sow some chives and parsley out in jugs in the yard for hopefully early spring transplanting....

I let you know if I get any harvesting off these early tries....

anyone else trying some experiments over the winter?

Comments (5)

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I tried winter-sowing for the first time last year with great success. Many of the plants I tried were native medicinal plants. I'm planning on trying some other medicinal/native plants this year.

I highly suggest winter-sowing for those difficult to germinate native plants. The seeds are so much more affordable than buying the plants themselves.

FataMorgana

• t-bird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

they sure are!

I'm a bit worried things will germinate too soon with the mild weather thus far if followed by some of our typical winter lows....

but so far, have only planted seeds that I think should be able to take it....hopefully!

• fatamorgana2121
    12 years ago

I know the feeling. It has been so mild here that the buds on the maple trees are large like it is late winter, I've heard reports of daffodils starting to come up and I even heard some very confused spring frogs peeping a way two-three weeks ago. A very odd start to winter.

I haven't started any of my winter-sowing yet. I'm hoping the temperatures get more seasonal soon.

FataMorgana

• t-bird
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well - by now the effects are multiplying. Without snow cover, the increasing daylight hours will warm up the earth faster.

I don't know whats in store with the arctic winds that sometimes blow down here, but I know the above freezing temps have extended up into canada.

We are getting a blast Monday and Tuesday - then back up to above freezing for the rest of the 10 day forecast....

I'm going to get some early veggies started-cabbage, kale, cauliflower - very early - just in case....

Already got some early toms and peppers and 1 eggplant sprouted so far....I'll be ready if summer temps hit in april, lol, not that I want them to.....I don't do well above 85, and I don't have central air....

but it is nice to not be so sick of winter that you can't imagine making it through to march! Things are tolerable up to Jan 10th so far, so if bitter cold hits, it's really only 7-8 weeks to manage through....I can do that!

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

t-bird, as I said in my reply to your other post about temperatures, winter savory and thyme don't need those high temperatures. You are forcing them and IMO you risk getting weak, gangly, etiolated plants which will not transplant well to the outdoors. For healthy plants you'd be better off growing them 'hard' ie at much cooler temps with ample light. They will grow slower but much more sturdily. You will also reduce your risk of moulds and damping off.