Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing herbs in same container

Posted by sepandee 11 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 26, 10 at 13:46

I have a big container and some herbs that I want to grow. However, I'm not sure which herbs are grown best with other herbs in the same container. For example, one of hte herbs is mint, and I'm sure mint will just invade every other herb's soil.

So here are the herbs (already grown up to at least 6 inches in smaller, individual containers):

Cuban oregano
Oregano
Sweet Basil
Basil?
English? Thyme
Fennel
Celery (hmm, not an herb!)
Sweet Mint
Tarragon
Rosemary
Chive (I believe it's some variety of onion chive since it's tube-like, but too big compared to standard onion chives)
Dill

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing herbs in same container

This is an often asked question here. The simple answer is that 1.) each herb has specific conditions it requires which may be at odds with conditions other herbs require and 2.) that many of these herbs can get quite sizable and will not be good neighbors in a container.

For best results, plant one type of herb to a container.

FataMorgana

o

If you have to plant herbs together, group as much as you can to needs of the plants.

Also planting annuals like dill with perennials is not advisable in my opinion. They grow fast and die. Best to keep annuals with other annuals.

By the way, what do you mean by "sweet mint?" The cherokee sweet mint I grew was Pycanthemum incanum. I suspect you mean something else. What is the botanical name for the "sweet mint" that you have?

FataMorgana

o

I agree with Fata, though--they would probably each be happiest in their own pot.

Chives usually looks better in a pot of its own because it forms an attractive round clump.

Thyme is quickly overshadowed by almost any other plant, as it is so tiny. Rosemary is usually OK with it in in my zone, as it grows slowly here, but that can become huge in zone 11. Tarragon has never thrived for me, which might mean it would do well in your zone and grow quickly, in which case it would also be able to overtake the thyme.

Oregano usually grows quite a bit more quickly than either rosemary or thyme, but might do OK near the fennel and dill, as it could spill over the sides and still get sun.
Fennel and dill are several feet tall-- almost grasslike in general shape, whereas marjoram is usually more of a spreader. Fennel and dill will cross with each other if allowed to pollenate each other.

If your pot is rectangular rather than round you might have more luck with combinations, as you could space them out more.

o

If your growing Tarragon from seeds its russian tarragon and i would avoid it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here