Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dried Chives

Posted by amprice 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 13, 08 at 13:51

I dried chives for the first time this year by hanging them upside down for well over 2 weeks. They felt dry and were brittle (crumbled) so I put them in jars with screw tight lids. I went to use some about 6 weeks later and they smelled like Hay so I threw them out. What did I do wrong? Or is that the way they are supposed to smell when dried? Maybe I just have a too sensitive sense of smell!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dried Chives

Some herbs, like parsley and chives, really can't be hung and dried. If they do dry without getting moldy (a difficult thing in my climate!), you have items that are pale comparisons to the original in taste and in color. If you are going to dry them, use a food dehydrator or a convection oven on the lowest setting. You need them to dry as quick as possible for best flavor and color.

FataMorgana

o

I have good results with just chopping and freezing them. If you make sure that they are good and dry, they won't stick together so you can just shake what you want out of the bag. I get much better color and flavor than drying.

o

You did nothing wrong. That's what happens when you try to dry chives. It doesn't matter how you go about it, they just lose flavour and colour.

Chives are best frozen for storage. Freeze them in thin, flat 'pancakes' so pieces can be easily broken off as required.

o

i did put some up by putting them in ice cube trays and then filling with water - when they froze i popped them out and put them in a freezer bag - but are they still useable that way say for mashed potatoes or will they make my potatoes soggy? What types of recipes can i use them this way?

o

Chives, like Cilantro are volitile as to smell and taste. The chives are usually freeze dried as opposed to plain drying, which seems to help retain a litte flavor and color. Drying ANY herbs without a good dehydrator will yield poor results. Cilantro loses almost all flavor once dried. Here, my wild onions (tiny pea sized bulbs) grow all throughout the winter months and I can harvest fresh greens from October through May. Adding excess water to potatoes will make a looser product.

o

My two cents: The ice cube sounds great! I put lots of herbs in water in a baggie for freezing. When I want to use them, I just let the baggie thaw, drain out the water, and then use the herbs in recipes. Your potatoes should be fine if you just drain the water off before using.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here