Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natures_nature

Lavender

Natures_Nature
10 years ago

I have several nice size lavender plants i planted two years back. Is there any special care they need? Overwintering? Pruning? Anything that has to do with growing lavender. Lavender 101, if you will.

Thanks,
Nature

Comments (6)

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

Overwintering.....nothing special other than initial placement. They like sage, thyme, etc. need very well draining soil. Pooling water = sure death. Only prune, if necessary, after the plants perk up when the weather starts to warm. Start by pruning out deadwood. After that, very little pruning is necessary.

FataMorgana

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

I would be careful when you start pruning out what you might think is dead wood. Elsewhere I believe I have read that you are relatively new to gardening so you need to make sure you can tell the difference between mature wood and dead wood. Cutting out actual dead wood is fine but Lavender does not take as kindly to being cut back into old wood as Sage, Thyme or Rosemary.

Usually I agree 100% with FataMorgana but on this topic I would suggest regular clipping of lavender after flowering - just the spent flower stems and a few inches of the current year's growth - to keep the plants bushy.

• fatamorgana2121
    10 years ago

I wasn't thinking about flowering....I was focusing on the after winter "clean-up" seeing that the person is in zone 5 Ohio and not all that different than my conditions. Winter generally leaves everything in a rather messy state. Cleaning out dead wood after plants have started to perk up (so you can tell what is dead), is one of my spring garden maintenance things. Other than removing the dead plant material, I generally don't do any pruning in the herb garden.

But Flora is correct. If you are pruning for shape, then do it after flowering.

FataMorgana

• Natures_Nature
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys! I was confused when I read Fata posts because everyplace recommends trimming off the near spent blooms and couple inches of new growth.

Flora, i say I'm new to gardening, but i been doing it for a year or two... I am very familiar with plants, however.. I forage for them, use them as medicine,etc.. In short, I'm not as much of a novice as you think.. I can tell the difference between dead and old wood..

Thanks guys !

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    10 years ago

OK N_N - I was just aware of what you'd said elsewhere. With lavender the mature stems get very gnarled, flaky and bare and could look dead to someone not familiar with it. But you say you can tell the difference between old wood and dead wood so that won't be a problem.

• Natures_Nature
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flora,

Thanks! Rather be safe than sorry, right... Your correct, lavender stems do look a bit gnarly, but i love that kind of natural appearance.. Gnarled plants are my eye candy! I wish you guys could see this Japanese maple near my house.. Beautiful!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida