Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
digit_gw

Perilla Tea?

digit
16 years ago

I know that it is used in making sushi. It has a very ornamental affect especially when planted with tall marigolds.

Farmers don't like it invading their hay fields - something about it not being good for cattle.

So, is perilla good as a tea?

Steve

Comments (9)

• Daisyduckworth
    16 years ago

Rich in vitamins and minerals. A tea made from the leaves can be used to treat fever, headache, coughs and colds, nausea, asthma, vomiting, constipation, food poisoning, allergic reactions or as a wash for sores and wounds. Has been used to treat cancer.

Usual Dosage: Seed or leaf in infusion: 3-9g.

It is quite strongly laxative, amongst other things, so used with caution.

• peanuttree
    16 years ago

Ew no that doesn't sound good. Think about it - perilla's taste would not be good as a tea.

Just use it like as an herb - actually I've always thought of it as more of a salad green, since it's not that strongly flavored.

It would probably go well with fresh tomatoes, like basil, and maybe mozzarella cheese. Actually when you think about it, the pattern is perilla really goes with savory/protein-y things.

• fatamorgana2121
    16 years ago

Here's plenty of recipes for Perilla/Shiso/Beefsteak Plant:

FataMorgana

Here is a link that might be useful: Shiso Recipes

• digit
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, I glad I asked and appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

I've had perilla for a few years now and since it reseeds so readily (and it's pretty), perilla will probably stay around. But honestly, I haven't come up with a single use for it in the kitchen.

Sushi is good stuff but I know so little that I'm not yet up for making it . . . I liked that one recipe: "Fried Sardines with Bacon and Shiso!!" Wow! I'm still thinking about it . . .

Steve
    The universe is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper. ~ E. Phillpotts

• sdgeiger
    15 years ago

Perilla is actually very good as a tea. It's a light flavor with a natural sweetener. My wife and her friend tried it for the first time this evening and they loved it.

• francescod
    15 years ago

Be very careful. Perilla does not have GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) status. From the Big Book of Herbs:"...many forms are high in perilla ketone, a chemical shown to be a potent lung toxin and documented to produce acute pulmonary edema in sheep, atypical interstitial pneumonia, and acute pulmonary emphysema and edema in cattle, as well as restrictive lung disease in horses." Undoubtedly why farmers don't want it invading the grazing areas. It also can cause intestinal discomfort in mice. The chemical can range from a trace to 94 percent of the essential oil make up of a plant.
    There is a Vietnamese cultivar that has no perilla ketone in it called 'Tia To'. There are other forms that have a lemony mint odor which would be safe.
    A leaf now and then is probably safe, and it does have a long culinary history in Japan (not limited to sushi). A tea might be higher in the chemical or it might be lower. There are other components that may help with certain kidney diseases.

Check out the Big Book of Herbs for more info.

• rockguy
    15 years ago

I have used Perilla for tea for years, of course that might be what turned my hair white at 60-something, lol. You can dry it and use in winter or you can use the green leaves for tea BUT the tea made with green leaves always makes me sleepy. I have not noticed any laxative effect, nor lung problems. I think farmers don't like it because it sprouts pretty early and can shade out some crops, plus it makes a zillion seeds. "Tea weed" they call it here.

• almir
    15 years ago

The only use I really know for Shiso is to wrap it around a piece of raw fish for a nice 'tangy' flavor... but if you aren't exactly into eating raw fish... i've got nothing.
    you could always try the tea and see if you like it *shrugs*
    I wouldn't be too worried about all the health advisory stuff, though i suppose it depends on what variety you grow.