Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bringing rosemary back around

Posted by RyanK817 GA (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 17:02

I picked up a Huntington Carpet Rosemary plant, and it started looking pretty puny before I was able to plant it, i.e. all the foliage turned brown, sprigs falling off. Should I just leave it like it is and see what happens, or should I just trim it all back down to the ground and let some new growth come in?

This post was edited by RyanK817 on Tue, Jan 15, 13 at 21:54

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bringing rosemary back around

I am guessing you need to go shopping again (:

By cutting off the dead growth, you may see some green leaves that could offer you hope with this plant.

o

IMHO this plant is dead.

o

You sure it likes that pine mulch? If I'm not mistaken, that makes the soil acidic.
Just a thought. I'd move to a more alkaline spot, no trimming and leave it be.

o

• Posted by lolauren 7 - WA State/Desert (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 17, 13 at 22:01

That plant looks dead to me. Rosemary are supposed to be evergreen. Look around the base for any signs of life. If there aren't any, get a new plant!

o

I have to agree that it is most likely dead. I have lost 2 so far and they both started looking that way it did not take long before they were completely gone. That is why I keep saving cuttings for new starters. Our soil in this part of Texas is alkaline and it seems to well here but can still suddenly up and croak.

o

Looks pretty dead to me, too. My cascading rosemary did that recently for no reason that I could figure out. It had been in a large container for several years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here