Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rosemary dying

Posted by printzess73 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 29, 05 at 18:31

I bought a rosemary this Christmas. On the tag it said it likes to be wet. Well I did that and now it is dying. Can I still save it? There is still some green on it. I looked on the web and it says it likes to dry out inbetween watering. Please help with how to take care of this plant.

Shilow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rosemary dying

Mine likes dry feet.I have several growing in sandy soil.They never get extra water,just whatever rain that falls.
Now with that said,we tried several of those that are grown to look like Christmas trees.None of them lived for us.
I would say,get some cuttings and start over.

o

They need good drainage which means never leave standing water in the saucer. They also need a sunny window. And they can't be allowed to dry out. The problem with the ones sold at this time of year is that they are mostly greenhouse grown and forced so react badly when transfered to the dry air of a house. If it isn't crispy you may be able to rescue it. Let it get drier but not entirely dried out - soil should still be moist to the touch and pot feel heavy. And put it in the sunniest spot you have.

o

What kinda rinky-dink nursery would say that rosemary likes to be wet? Sigh.... though, you don't put your zone... after it acclimates, it might be happier outside. When you think of rosemary, think of Greece... nice and dry and hot in the summer, getting the rain in the winter... but indoors is another matter. It probably will need a bit more water, but certainly it doesn't like it wet.

o

Sorry about the zone. I live in washington. So it can only go outside during the summer and spring. It gets to cold for the winter. So I am growing it indoors. and we use our fireplace allot. So the air is dry and is in my sunniest window. I have it in potting soil. It came in that. i did repot it to a bigger pot. It is continuing to die. I think i lost it. I do want to get another one. What should I do to take care of it. I will probably go to a nursery that is near me this time to buy one. I always had good luck with there plants. What kind of soil do i use to plant it in and what size of pot is best for indoors. It will be put outside in the summer and then moved back indoors. Sould i use any type of fertalizer for it. Any info will help. Thanks so much.

Shilow

o

How cold does it get where you are? Are you in eastern Wash or not? If the nursery has it outside, it is hardy in your zone. Washington has many zones and Western Wash is well within Rosemary hardiness zone. The reason I say this because rosemary is difficult to grow indoors. So if you get a new one and can grow it outdoors, I would. It can take quite a bit of water during the winter, which I know Western Washington is known for. :o)
If you'd like to find your zone here is a site that can help
http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-nw1.html

o

The only way you can save this plant now is too place it outside. Rosemary is simply not happy as a houseplant. I live in a zone 5 location and have to keep my rosemary inside. However, when the winter day here is above freezing my rosemary go outside and perk up with sunshine and outdoor humidity. The best indoor location is a very sunny window with a cool temperature.

Cheers!

o

Thanks for this thread. I have the exact same thing going on.
Chervil, do you mean that a day at 35 degrees would be ok? That's amazing if it will fix the poor plant. I never would have thought it could tolerate the cold. I am in zone 5. (we miss the sun around here!!)

o

My rosemary LOVE 35 degrees outside compared to a dry hot house.

I hope that you can save your plant.

Chervil2

o

Rosemary is not tropical... though the shock of putting it out in 35 degree cold might be a bit, maybe stick it in the garage overnight? It can take SOME cold. Rosemary is a mediterranean herb and the mediterranean gets some freezes. Just not the long deep freezes of your area.

o

Here in NW Florida we regularly get freezes into the low teens.I have even seen single digit temps occasionally.
Rosemary isn't bothered by these temps.I realize this is a heat wave to some of you.

o

Mine (5 of them) are doing fine in a south-facing window and a couple of them are four and five years old so growing them inside works. I use a regular potting mix (like Miracle Gro or Schultz) and a plastic (terra cotta colored) pot. They do get a bit leggy inside if not pinched back but then you can use the pinched off stuff on lamb chops or chicken. Three of them are in bloom now and have been blooming since October so they must be happy. I find the prostrate kinds flower best. They have to be kept moist but not soggy. The only one I lost was one that got dried out and that was when I got sick and couldn't water. Too bad, because it was 12 years old and a pretty big plant.
I repot every fall before bringing them in.

o

i'm in USDA Zone 8 and rosemary is a groundcover here!
We are very Mediteranian here (cool and wet in the winter, dry and hot in the summer)We do freeze from time to time, but it doesn't seem to mess with the rosemary or any of the other herbs I grow.
I've never grown herbs indoors, so I'm no help in that category! Good Luck! Nancy

o

Hey Heather1.

I live in Auburn Washington. Zone 8a acording to this http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/hzm-nw1.html chart you gave me. Thanks for the chart. It rains here allot. We have 3 rainy seasons and one sunny season. So putting it in my garden probably wont be a good idea. I don't now. I have allot of clay and it does not drain well. But what about a flower pot on my deck? I have several large flower pots that still need more plants to fill them. Well this work?

Shilow

o

I'm going to monitor this thread as I can't grow rosemary to save my life. I've tried every year for the past six, and every time, it dies. Tried wet and sunny, dry and sunny, wet and shady, dry and shady. Nothing.... hopefully this year is different

o

A pot would be fine! probably much better drainage. I wouldn't stick it in with other plants unless they need drainage too... For you, I'd probably use at least 1/2 perlite, almost like a cactus mix, but not. If the drainage is good, it can take more rain.... or just bring it it every time it rains in the summer, It will be fine in the winter rains... mine has survived the flooding down here in Sacramento just fine.
Bomber..Dry and sunny is the way Rosemary likes it. I have a feeling it's possibly the humidity that the rosemary doesn't like. Here, where I live, Rosemary enjoys full sun 100 plus degrees and if it's in a pot, watering it once or twice a week.

o

Robyn, we very rarely get over 100 degrees. The only thing I could do that would make it near 100 is put it in the computer room on a heat mat. I keep the door to that room shut, so it's right now about 84 to help w. the jade plant, Venus Fly Trap, two christmas cacti, and the parakeet :-D I've read that it likes water, but I'll go w. what you said ;-)

o

Well, It can take water during the winter! It's a mediterranean herb... so think Italy and Greece and such... warm and dry during the summer, cool and damp in the winter.
You don't have to give it 100, I was just explaining what it likes... I THINK that it is like a pine tree, it developed needle like leaves to reduce water loss during the drought times. I know one of the big killers is root rot.
If it needed loads of water, it would not do nearly as well as it does here in dry Sacramento... we get about 17" of rainfall annually... except for this year.

o

Should add that my potted plants go out in the summer and outside they get watered usually every day. They like it sunny but temperatures here don't reach 100 degrees and a good thing too. Our average rainfall is 45 inches a year but last fall we got almost that amount in October! The rosemary were out in all that wet and flourished - the key is good drainage. And never letting them dry out.

o

THanks every one. I think I have a better idea about how to grow rosemary. I have took allot of notes. I apreciate all the help. I love to use fresh herbs for my cooking and rosemary is good on fish.

Shilow

o

The following regimen has worked for me in keeping rosemary healthy indoors during the winter. Your mileage may vary. I have a pic of one of my indoor rosemary plants blooming in another post I just put up in the forum.

Rosemary indoors:

Humidity: Dry, do not mist, do not try to raise hunididy. Reduces the chance of fungus and mold invasions. It may loose a few needles, but that's a small price to pay. In the winter my house has oil-fired forced hot air with humidity around 20% and plants do fine.

Soil: Well draining, but nothing exotic. Sam's Choice from Walmart will work, as long as you are careful with watering and the pot is not oversized for the plant.

Watering: Keep it on the dry side, but do not let go bone dry. Wetter than a cactus, drier than basil. Mine are watered every 10-days to two weeks, and the one in the pic is quite root-bound.

Light: As much as you can give it. South-facing window is best.

Fertilizer: Occasionally with all-purpose fertilizer is fine. Time-release is fine. Rosemary does not need much fertilizer.

narcnh

o

• Posted by kris 8a DFW (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 10, 06 at 18:17

Watch out with those x-mas rosemary's. Many of them are a particular variety that is from corsica (angustifolia) and die below 32F. They are much less cold hardy than the regular rosemary.

We can grow rosemary's outside in humid hot FL just beautifully. Drainage is the key, they can get lots of rain as long as they have good drainage they will fluorish. Consistency seems to be a key with rosemary, water regularly but not too much, not too little (ugh) , lots of sun regularly too.

o

My location is having a January thaw. I brought all my rosemary outside and hope to leave them outside until Saturday. The weather is damp and in the mid thirties. Rain is predicted for later in the day. By Saturday I expect to see all the rosemary leaves rehydrated and bright green again.

Cheers!

o

A tip about "sunny windows": Glass (even insulated glass)transfers heat and cold quicker than a wall (especially insulated walls). No matter what plant you have in the window, always keep it about 12 - 18 inches away from the glass. No matter what plant you are over-wintering, occasionally spray the foliage with water - just like skin, the leaves need cleaning and hydrating. When watering the pot, sit the pot in a sink with an open drain. Pour enough water to soak through the pot and allow to drain thoroughly before returning the pot to its saucer. Do not crowd your plants in the window - poor air circulation can do as much damage as too much/not enough water. To give plants extra humidity, line a fairly large old pan with rocks or gravel and add water. Place your pot in a clay saucer on top of the rocks. This will provide a more humid environment without getting the plant's "feet" wet. This is good for basil or other more tropical-type herbs that you are growing in winter. The "dry" herbs (rosemary, thyme, etc.) don't need the constant humidity, just the occasional misting. My Christmas tree rosemaries were purchased 2-3 years ago and do just fine outside in our zone 7. When we lived in zones 4 and 5, it was necessary to bring rosemary and some other herbs inside in winter. When we moved here almost four years ago, I brought a five-year-old rosemary from zone 5 to zone 7 - what a luxury not have to bring that big old thing in every year! I get seed in abundance from it every year.

o

It seems like the more I ignore my rosemary, the better it does. About ten years ago, I bought a rosemary seedling, put it in a nice big pot with good soil, gave it lots of love. And it promptly started dying.

So I broke off about 8 inches of the greenest branch and unceremoniously stuck it in the middle of my garden. Nothing happened for a while, then it started growing like wildfire. I didn't water it or fertilize it and I've never amended the bed except to apply mulch twice in the last 10 years. It's about 4 feet wide and 2 feet tall now.

We have soil that's clay/sand/rocky here, and go through alternating periods of flood and drought.

o

I start 20-30 rosemary layers in September, some branches have a dozen shoots. They root in a couple of weeks and I cut them and transfer them to small pots. By Xmas I have small rooted cuttings to present at the children's party.
I hear that the markets have 7 or 8" rosemary stems in pots for Xmas. That's what they are, no root decorations. Treated right, they may root.
Doug

o

I've had many indoor rosemary plants here in New England and find that different types seem to have different water needs. However I've had best results doing this in the dry heat of the house:
1) use a big pot for good drainage and a sunny window;
2) water as soon as needles start to look dry or thin;
3) MIST regularly! Doing this last step has kept my most recent rosemary alive and healthy for 3 years.

I know many rosemaries are heat-lovers, but mine dries up so quickly I don't even dare let it outside for long in the summer.

Good luck!

o

Tsusan Now that is very strange... Potted rosemaries do well outside in my 100 plus heat... I am thinking they probably don't like your humidity. You actually probably overwater it there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here