Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jctsai8b

Suggestion for herbs to grow

jctsai8b
9 years ago

I want to grow some herbs, can you suggestion some and give me the reasons? For cooking? Medical benefits? Or something else.
What herbs do you grow?

Thanks

This post was edited by JCTsai on Thu, Dec 18, 14 at 18:56

Comments (6)

• zzackey
    9 years ago

What does your post mean?

• zzackey
    9 years ago

It reads better now. I grow Rosemary, Parsley and Thyme for chicken soups. Rosemary makes a nice clear tea. Rosemary is supposed to be a calming tea. Peppermint tea is good for muscle relaxing. I grow basil for homemade pizzas. Stinging nettle tea is my favorite, but it died on me. It is a yard weed most people want to kill. It has medicinal properties.

• User
    9 years ago

I LOVE...

ROSEMARY, you can harvest it year-round, it's deer proof, heat and drought-proof, provides attractive lavender-blue flowers, is good for kindling wood due to the high oil content,
    is terrific with chicken and homemade tomato sauces. It gets me through the Winter.

Bay Laurel, you need space for this one, remember, it wants to be a TREE eventually! Deer proof and good in tomato sauces, soups, etc.

Lemon Verbena, terrific aroma, deer proof, great in iced teas.

Catmint/Catnip, Cats love to get high on it and I am a cat lover.

Lavender, also deer-proof, strong aromatic, attractive flowers, high heat and drought tolerant, loves neglect and has some culinary use in limited amounts.

Ginger, it is a tropical so, frost-sensitive but really easy and useful and heathy in the kitchen. It is also shade tolerant.

I grow others...fennel, oregano, sage, and thyme but the ones above are my favorites.

• fatamorgana2121
    9 years ago

And many of your culinary herbs have medicinal qualities too!! Read up on them.

Medicinals? Every garden needs: Calendula, lemon balm, mint, nettle (ok....not every garden but certainly mine!), echinacea, garlic, rose, elderberry, mullein, dandelion, etc..... Be sure to check out the ethnobotanical uses of plants native to Florida. These plants will love your growing conditions. Look to Native American resources for the Nations that live in Florida.

FataMorgana

• drmbear Cherry
    9 years ago

Depends on what you want them for. I grow a whole bunch of herbs just for herbal teas - a variety of mints, lemon balm, stevia, lemon verbena, lemon grass, anise hyssop, stinging nettles, bee balm, calendula, and others. I also grow things that I like to have for seasoning of food - dill, parsley, thyme, sorrel, summer savory, lovage, chives and garlic chives, bay laurel, lots of garlic, oregano, and more.

• Hermitian
    9 years ago

If you like the flavor of mustard/horseradish - Upland Cress is hard to beat.
    Of the sages I prefer Greek Sage which performs very well in FL.
    Perennial Arugula (Diplotaxis tenuifolia) has a better flavor than the annual Erica species. The whole plant (flowers!) are edible. Grow it in afternoon shade to promote vegetative growth.
    Greek Basil has a better flavor IMO and is perennial in zones 10 and up.
    Marjoram.
    Zaatar or Syrian Oregano if you like this strong flavored herb. Imagine - there are several million people in the middle east who eat this daily for salad.
    Mother Of Thyme. This species (and cultivar) has 3 times the essential oil concentration compared to other thymes.
    Standard Italian parsley (not the giant). Easy to grow.
    Tuscan Blue Rosemary. Once you taste it fresh ... it could be the end of any other Rosemary in your cooking.
    French Tarragon{{gwi:807}}. Can't be grown from seed. Accept no substitutes!
    Chives.

This post was edited by Hermitian on Tue, Dec 9, 14 at 0:42