Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgregory_zone6

who's been nibbling?

dg
11 years ago

Went out to get the mail and as usual, along the way I look over beds. That's when I saw Southern Comfort had baby leaves. Looking beyond that I saw that 2 or 3 old leaves (under oak leaves) were still intact while several others had been nibbled off!

Deer? Squirrels?

The other heuchera in that bed were left untouched....thank goodness.

Any thoughts?
Deb

Comments (8)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Rabbits? Look for a sharp diagonal cut for rabbits.

tj

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ahh yes, well we do have a few bunnies around here, but I had forgotten about those guys.

TJ, thanks for the hint as to the possible culprit. It's just that I was surprised that they had gotten munched on.
    :-)

Deb

• garden_crazy
    11 years ago

tj
    The rabbits always eat mine as the snow fades away in late winter. I figure at that point they are doing me a favor by cleaning up the scraggly old leaves. I let them have at it until the new growth really kicks in, then I protect them with dried blood. -That also gives them a nitrogen burst. It works for heuchera loving deer also.

gc

• rbrady
    11 years ago

Rabbits love to snack on mine too, they usually eat on them if there is no snow cover. They ate so many of them this winter I ended up wrapping some of them with chicken wire to protect them. In fact, I have rabbits so bad I have to wrap most of my trees and shrubs to protect them from the little rascals. My gardens seem to be an endless buffet:-(

Rhonda

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have a question :-)
    gardencrazy said: "I let them have at it until the new growth really kicks in, then I protect them with dried blood. -That also gives them a nitrogen burst. It works for heuchera loving deer also."

Is the "dried blood" that you referred to a product like bone meal?

tia,
    Deb

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Yes, dried blood is a regular store bought item. You can also use blood meal but I prefer the dried blood. Be careful. It is high in nitrogen and can burn tender plants (like lettuce, no so much heuchs) so just sprinkle it around.

tj

• dg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK thanks tj I'll look for it the next time I go garden stuff shopping. The added benefit of detouring the deer makes me happy too :-)

Deb

• docmom_gw
    11 years ago

I found exactly the same pattern of munching on my one and only heuchera. I think mine is just a Purple Palace, but I love how it contrasts with the other plants in my shade garden. I planted a bunch of seedlings last year, but they were so small I lost track of them. Maybe the rabbits missed them, too. I really wish I could have an outdoor cat, but they are horrible for so many other animals, not just the rabbits. I may need to try the blood or other products. Thanks for the information.

Martha

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner