Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
who's been nibbling?

Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 17:30

Went out to get the mail and as usual, along the way I look over beds. That's when I saw Southern Comfort had baby leaves. Looking beyond that I saw that 2 or 3 old leaves (under oak leaves) were still intact while several others had been nibbled off!

Deer? Squirrels?

The other heuchera in that bed were left untouched....thank goodness.

Any thoughts?
Deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: who's been nibbling?

Rabbits? Look for a sharp diagonal cut for rabbits.

tj

o

Ahh yes, well we do have a few bunnies around here, but I had forgotten about those guys.

TJ, thanks for the hint as to the possible culprit. It's just that I was surprised that they had gotten munched on.
:-)

Deb

o

tj
The rabbits always eat mine as the snow fades away in late winter. I figure at that point they are doing me a favor by cleaning up the scraggly old leaves. I let them have at it until the new growth really kicks in, then I protect them with dried blood. -That also gives them a nitrogen burst. It works for heuchera loving deer also.

gc

o

• Posted by rbrady 5/Eastern Ia (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 12:16

Rabbits love to snack on mine too, they usually eat on them if there is no snow cover. They ate so many of them this winter I ended up wrapping some of them with chicken wire to protect them. In fact, I have rabbits so bad I have to wrap most of my trees and shrubs to protect them from the little rascals. My gardens seem to be an endless buffet:-(

Rhonda

o

I have a question :-)
gardencrazy said: "I let them have at it until the new growth really kicks in, then I protect them with dried blood. -That also gives them a nitrogen burst. It works for heuchera loving deer also."

Is the "dried blood" that you referred to a product like bone meal?

tia,
Deb

o

Yes, dried blood is a regular store bought item. You can also use blood meal but I prefer the dried blood. Be careful. It is high in nitrogen and can burn tender plants (like lettuce, no so much heuchs) so just sprinkle it around.

tj

o

OK thanks tj I'll look for it the next time I go garden stuff shopping. The added benefit of detouring the deer makes me happy too :-)

Deb

o

I found exactly the same pattern of munching on my one and only heuchera. I think mine is just a Purple Palace, but I love how it contrasts with the other plants in my shade garden. I planted a bunch of seedlings last year, but they were so small I lost track of them. Maybe the rabbits missed them, too. I really wish I could have an outdoor cat, but they are horrible for so many other animals, not just the rabbits. I may need to try the blood or other products. Thanks for the information.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here