Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Beautiful New Growth Part 2!

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

More exciting and colorful new growth here in the PNW! This first one is called 'Circus'. The new growth is in the middle.

Comments (21)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is a relatively new one called 'Georgia Plum'. It's much smaller than it's sister, 'Georgia Peach', but the color is every bit as intense.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is a mini called 'Frost'. It's full-grown size is only about 5"x7". It would be great in a pot with other plants. I have it in the ground here. It nestles up nicely to the base of a Siberian iris I have planted behind it. The new growth is in the middle. The leaves get more heavily veined as the season progresses.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's a cool heucherella called 'Solar Eclipse'. The contrast between the older dark growth and the new bright green and red growth is eye catching. It almost doesn't even look like the same plant.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Delta Dawn' is one of the few I have that dies all the way back in the winter. The new growth is a very bright orangey-red. It'll be green with reddish veins later in the year.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Berry Smoothie' is one of my favorites. It dies back quite a bit in the winter, but not all the way. The new growth is a very bright pinkish burgundy. It'll get some nice veining later in the season as you can see from some of last year's leaves towards the bottom of the plant.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another favorite of mine is heucherella 'Sweet Tea'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Paprika' is another one that dies all of the way back in the winter. Here it is emerging with stunning, bright orangey-red new growth!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A new one for me, and fast becoming a favorite for it's stunning color and veining. This is 'Carnival Watermelon'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Pinot Gris' is a great grower for me. This one is so large already that I could barely fit it all into the picture. The new growth is the peachy color and last year's is greenish. I love the contrast.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Plum Pudding' is another good grower. The dark purple is a bit hard to capture on camera, but it's gorgeous in person.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Kira Oak Forest' has the most beautiful flowers of all of my heucheras. Her spring growth colors are nice, too.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Dolce Creme Brûlée '...another good grower with outstanding spring color.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Peach Flambé' is my second brightest heuchera (next to 'Zipper'). It keeps putting out new growth for most of the season, so it's always bright and fresh looking.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another mini called 'Sweet Tart'. This one will get hot pink flowers later in the season which will stand out nicely against the lime green leaves.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last, but not least, is 'Miracle'. I must admit, this one looks kind of blah during the rest of the year. It sure looks exciting in the spring, though.

• Debra Vessels
    10 years ago

They all look beautiful flower-frenzy. Last year was my first year to plant Heuchera, twelve of them. We had a pretty harsh winter and mine all look terrible, but, I am seeing new growth on some of them in the sunnier bed. And then this happened... I had put markers on all of them, the weather destroyed most of the markers, so I have no idea which ones are which, until they give me some glorious new leaves. My bad, I usually write down what is planted where, but I didn't with my heuchera. I also ordered 10 starters for $4 ea, and have had them potted in my pantry all winter. I have lost 4, but the rest have grown and look wonderful, and it was nice to have something growing and colorful in the house all winter. I can't wait to get them planted, and I know I will not try that again. I also picked up a Obsidian and a Carnival Watermelon last week at HD. Your Carnival Watermelon is gorgeous, I can't wait to see how mine does. So, my Heuchera experience so far has been good and bad. I can't quite tell if I have potted and planted the crown too deep or not deep enough. I will keep trying, they are worth the effort. Any tips will be greatly appreciated. Here is a pic of Midnight Rose with some new growth. When should I trim off the old dead leaves? Deb

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had heard that they did well as house plants, but I've never tried that. It sounds like a great idea. I think I'd enjoy the color in the winter as well.

You can trim off the dead leaves any time. If you were in a colder zone, it would be better to leave them around the base of the plant for added protection, but I think you're warm enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

What part of TX are you in? I'm asking because if you're losing heuchs, it may not be anything you've done. Some heucheras just don't like it in the South.

• Debra Vessels
    10 years ago

FF,
    I am in the Panhandle of Texas, near Amarillo, we have an average 40 percent humidity I think, but we get hot dry wind and heat, instead of hot humid heat like the South. I have only lost 1 that was planted outside last year, Midnight Rose. The four I lost were the starters I kept inside all winter, and I think I may have over watered them. For the record the survivors that did well, Peach Flambe being the best, 2 Rio, Rave On, Georgia Peach, and Sugar Plum. I will be happy to get them planted as I have a greener thumb outside than I do inside.... I would like to put a few in a container combined with other plants, on my north facing porch this summer. I will try a few new ones this summer designated for the south, and try different areas, I am not ready to give up yet! I am anxious to see some blooms from last years plantings. Here is a pic of my starters, they were an inch tall when I received them last September. In the future I will buy larger plants at the proper time, I think. I can never pass up a bargain though. These came from Hosta Direct and I was aware that they would be starters. The dozen I ordered from Garden Crossings were more expensive but beautiful large plants. I am loving the challenge of these love plants. Deb

• littlesmokie
    10 years ago

I enjoyed seeing the new vs old foliage. I have the Georgia plum, but seeing your pics wishing I'd picked the plum pudding instead for that spot. Another excuse to buy a plant!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, by all means, buy another! Heck... buy 10 more!! You are hereby enabled. Lol

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

'Carnival Watermelon' looks good enough to eat.

Don B.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz