Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flower_frenzy

Beautiful new growth!

flower_frenzy
10 years ago

A lot of my heucheras/ellas are showing some pretty spectacular new growth now that spring has sprung here in the PNW. This first one is 'Caramel Apple'-a sport of the beloved 'Caramel'. The new growth is the reddish pink color.

Comments (19)

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another eye-catching variety is 'Rio'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Both the old and new leaves on 'Zipper' are pretty wild! This is by far the brightest heuchera in my garden.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 22:04

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

A new one for me, 'Copper Cascade', is showing a lot of promise. This is supposed to be one of the trailing heucherellas that work well in pots. Mine is planted in the ground.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is called 'Apple Crisp'. The new growth is bright green and the older growth is darker green.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Southern Comfort' has pinkish-red new growth!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This one is called 'Pear Crisp'. The green is much more of a lime-green than 'Apple Crisp'.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another one from the crisp family...'Peach Crisp'. This one looked a bit blah this summer, but the new growth is bright and lovely!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Galaxy' has splotchy leaves, which adds interest year-round. The new growth is pretty interesting too!

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

'Cherry Cola' is showing me how it got its name.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Last, and a definite favorite, is 'Georgia Peach'. Such a show off! I think everyone should have one in their garden. It has such a presence with its huge leaves and spectacular color!

Anyone else have some great new growth they'd like to brag about? Feel free to add pictures.

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Beautiful! That Georgia Peach is just amazing. And I love those crinkly textures of the crisps, Zipper, and Black Taffeta. FlowerFrenzy, it was your pics last year that got me into heuchs. Several of mine are looking like they are waking up, but nothing photo-worthy yet.

Lowes has some temptingly priced "Molten Fire" heuchs just in. Know anything about that variety?

Also, do you trim last years winter-weary leaves or just let the new growth fill in?

• jadie88
    10 years ago

If I remember correctly, don't you also grow "Spellbound"? I remember a gasp-worthy photo of it last year and I'd love to see its spring look!

This post was edited by jadie88 on Fri, Mar 14, 14 at 22:40

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi jadie. I have 'Molten Fire' and I like it. The new growth is an intense reddish color which then melts into a brownish purple. It keeps putting out new leaves for most of the season, so there's a nice contrast most of the time. It's a good grower for me as well. You would do well to pick one up for yourself.

Yes, I grow 'Spellbound'. It's a beauty for sure. As if the silver overlay on purple leaves wasn't enough, the leaves are humongous. One of mine reached 7 inches across last year!

Glad I could entice another gardener to grow heucheras. I love my hostas, but I have to say that the heuchs are probably my favorite plants in my garden.

As far as trimming the leaves goes, it depends. I prefer to leave them where they are, but I cut them if the stems grow long and they start looking gangly or if they're frost burnt at all.

I'll try to take a picture of 'Spellbound' this weekend. It looked good all winter long and is just starting to put on some new growth.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 2:04

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I have several of these on my want list. I am getting excited for spring. The weather was not just above 0 this week, it went above freezing. Spring fever is much better than winter doldrums.

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Hi Flower Frenzy: Where are you in the PNW? I am in Aumsville, Oregon, just east of Salem. I am heuchera happy too. My Southern Comfort is just getting started and is so pretty! I can't wait for things to really get going. But I also love Hosta and all the other shade plants. There are so many gorgeous new things this year!!1

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rosie-I'm in Vancouver, WA. My in-laws live in Silverton, OR which is also near Salem.

If you like hostas, you should check out Sebright Gardens. They have an awesome selection of hostas and heucheras. They're in the Salem area as well.

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

Good Morning! Isn't this a pretty day? My brother-i law and his wife lived in Silverton for several years, it is such a pretty town! I can never get over how green Oregon is! My darlin' man , whom I lost in '08 and I grew up in San Diego and it was mostly brown. We moved up in '74 and I have never gotten tired of the green and the beautiful flowers!! I use a walker (arthrytis). Sebright Gardens is on my favorites list and I really like them. I have ordered from them and Hallsons, and Josh Spece and Naylor Creek. I do everything on my computer!!! And there is so much pretty stuff this year!!!! I loved your pictures, as soon as my Heucs have some growth , I will try out my new camera

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great pics, Flower-Frenzy, thanks very much; These pics will help me choose some heucheras for the gardens this year. Heucheras and hostas and ferns, three plants have never gone together more beautifully (in my personal opinion).

ALSO: I just placed my first order from Sebright, for a half-dozen hostas. I remember you speaking very highly of them and telling me I wouldn't be disappointed with their stock. Your recommendation is good in my book, so in May, I'll have my first batch from them. Great selection of hostas, it took me several hours to explore it from A to Z! I chose several that I didn't find anywhere else. Anyway, thanks for the tip, and I'll post pics on the hosta forum, hopefully in mid-May or so.

Regards,
    Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Don...glad you're enjoying the pictures. There are so many great heucheras and heucherellas out there, it's hard to choose. Luckily, most of them grow in sun and shade so it's easy to find spaces to plant them.

It's great that you ordered from Sebright this year. You won't be disappointed. They send large divisions and they stand behind their plants, so if you ever have any trouble just contact them (not that I expect you will). I can't wait to see your pics over in the hosta forum!

I'm fortunate enough to live about 1 1/2 hours away from them and I go at least 3 times during the season. They have beautiful gardens and some of the hostas are so large that it's almost unreal. It's difficult for me to get out of there for less than $100. They sell heucheras at the nursery as well, so I'm sure you can imagine the temptation!

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County