Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Here's a tip...

Posted by flower-frenzy 8a (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 11:30

Sometimes I have heuchera that are only 1-2 years old (so not ready to divide yet) that aren't filling out properly. They seem skinny and small, and the leaves are coming off one central area that is elongated, like a neck.

I was watching a video by Dan Heims (Terra Nova) and he mentioned this. His suggestion was to dig up the plant and re-plant it; burying the neck about 1 inch deeper than it was previously planted. He said this would cause the plant to send up new leaves and start to fill out within 3-4 weeks.

Well, I tried it and it works! Some of my uglier plants are now round and bushy. Just thought I'd mention it in case any of you out there are having this issue.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 11:31

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Here's a tip...

Ok, FlowerFrenzy, you are officially my huechera guru. My 'Peach Flambé' looks like broccoli when it's overgrown and gone to seed! I wasn't sure if deep planting was as bad for heuchs as it can be for hosta, so I have left it alone, but I'm going to re-situate it tomorrow. It was nice and full, but it got so winter burned that once I cleared out most of the crispy leaves there wasn't much left. The new growth sure looks amazing though!

So, guru(s)... I came by 'Pretty Perrine' today. Anyone grow it? It has three distinct colors in its spring look. It goes green later on but supposedly has nice flowers. I also saw Peach Crisp, which I snapped up without thinking twice. :)

Last year was year of the Hosta, this year is looking like year of the heuchera. Who am I kidding, it's just going to be both!

o

I don't grow 'Pretty Perrine', but she looks like a good one. I love the colors.

You're going to like 'Peach Crisp'. This is mine in March, just starting to put on its peachy colors! It gets kind of cocoa and olive brown (see bottom leaves) in the summer. I like the changes.

o

Jadie88 I'm in Maryland too. I just started my obsession with heuchera. FF's photos are amazing as well as other posters. What are your favorites here in MD? Which ones have done well for you? Thank you. Ree

o

Hi Ree! Good to "meet" a fellow Marylander. :) I'm in Baltimore County...what part of the state are you in?

This is only the second year I've been into heuchs, so my 'experience' isn't worth very much. So far every heuch I've brought home has been happy here. I think as long as they have afternoon shade our climate is agreeable for them. My favorites from my still-small assortment are Peach Flambé, Electra, Tiramisu, and Obsidian. I am definitely hooked, so I'm sure I'll have more favorites to add to the list this season!

FYI, my local Lowe's has some very impressive selections right now...since they tend to purchase regionally, a store near you may also. I usually try to put my garden money into private nurseries, but the size, price, and varieties Lowe's had really left me no choice. :)

o

Jadie88 I'm in Montgomery Co. :) I will check out Lowes. This is my first year as of last week or so. I have so far
Berry Smoothie
Paprika
Paris
Blackberry Ice
Ginger Peach
Kassandra

There are so many that I want. I was just looking at the garden to see where I could fit more. Peach Flambé, Tiramisu, and Obsidian are on my wish list among many others. One local nursery had them but they were pricey. $19.99 ea. That's too high for me even in a gallon pot.

Headed up your way Today. Picking up DD up at Towson Univ.

Enjoy your day everyone!

o

Thanks, that's a great tip!

Don B.

o

FlowerFrenzy, this is off-topic, but I just wanted to give you a big thanks for recommending Sebright Gardens for hostas. I ordered 5, and you're right, I wasn't disappointed. I was HAPPY! Big mature divisions and great root systems, as you know. I plan on ordering from them again for sure. A pic of them soaking in a 5-gallon bucket after arrival.

So..."THANKS!!!" : )

Don B.

o

Don -you're so welcome! I knew you'd be happy. I bought several from them last year and the ones I bought from Sebright are 2-3 times as large this year as ones I planted last year from other places. Of course, it could also be the fact that they're in the same exact zone and climate as me...but still. I think (for the money) they send some of the best hostas available.

I can't wait to see pictures of your budding heuchera collection soon. Hint hint. If you collect those as well as you do hostas, you'll have me beat in no time. Lol

o

flower-frenzy since you are local, IF you ever get a chance to see Dan Heims speak, make sure you go. He is hilarious as well as so very knowledgeable. Sometimes Terra Nova is open to the public and it is tour you do not want to miss.

o

I'll have to keep that in mind. I knew that Terra Nova was open to the public, but I haven't gone yet. I need to make it a priority, as I'm sure it would be fabulous!

o

Here is a link to photos I took at several Terra Nova open houses. Very Huchera heavy...

Here is a link that might be useful: Terra Nova photos

o

Thanks for sharing. I will look at these for days to come.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here