Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gandj_gw

The secret to starting from seed?

gandj
10 years ago

So, we started seed sowing for the first time, this year. Everything is growing fine except the 1 plant I was most interested in... The Heuchera! I didn't cover the seeds, and keep them about 65ð at night. It's only been a few weeks since we started the seed, but everything else is coming up (even the hot peppers!). Any secrets to starting Heuchera from seed?
Thank you

Comments (17)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I've only grown them from seed once, but I had great results. I used the wintersowing technique and it seemed as if every seed sprouted. The plants got crowded fast, since I sowed quite generously, so I planted them out when they were still tiny. I haven't had a chance to pull back the leaves and pine needles yet to see how they survived the winter. I think you just need to give them more time. Remember how small those seeds were? The seedlings will start equally small, so will need some extra time to grow big enough to be seen. Good luck,

Martha

• tepelus
    10 years ago

According to the seed germination database, heuchera of several different species are slow to germinate. A couple it shows needs a cold strat, but I'm assuming the ones you have have villosa in their heritage, so they may not need the cold, just patience. :)

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Germination Database -- H

• gandj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Docmom, I wanted to try winter sowing but haven't had the chance yet. May do it this winter. We're going to keep trying even if we don't get anything from this batch of seeds. I think I can plant seedlings right up to early fall?

• gandj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tepelus;
    "but I'm assuming the ones you have have villosa in their heritage..."
    I'm new to Heuchera so I would have no clue. I ordered a packet of "Melting Fire" after seeing Heuchera growing in a few different places, this past winter. From the seed germination db, they're not talking chilling but freezing? I'm hoping I can get this variety to grow, cause I'd like to try some others. Thanks for the database link, bookmarked it....

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Looking up Melting Fire, it looks like it is a micanthra and on the database it shows the seeds sprouting at 68 degrees in two weeks, but I would give them some time. They may not be warm enough or ready to sprout yet.

Karen

• gandj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Cool. I'll just wait em out. I'm not seeing any fungus in the cells, so no problems waiting. I also just realized that the seeds i sowed were pelleted. I'm thinking that could extend the time....

• gandj
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Karen, you were right on!
    I wanted to wait to take a pic until they were a bit bigger, but couldn't.
    Never ever have we started such tiny seedlings!
    Thanks,
    G and J

• coxy
    10 years ago

I just planted the Marvelous Marble & Molten Fire I grew from seed. Also another lime green I'm not sure the name of. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy they were. I just wish there were more varieties available from seed.

• tepelus
    10 years ago

Yay! Congrats on your sprouts.

Karen

• rosefenn
    10 years ago

Please tell me where on earth I can buy heuchera seeds? I love them but they are so expensive to buy at the nurseries!

• vera_eastern_wa
    10 years ago

I just got my seed at a local store...they were not named though...just a pic with red blooms and couldn't resist lol!
    No sprouts yet, but it's only been a week...AND they were started in the "winter sow" manner....
    A few years back I wintersowed seeds taken from 'Purple Palace' and had great results :)

Vera

• valleyrimgirl
    10 years ago

So, did the heuchera seeds sprout?

I start heuchera seeds just like a petunia seed...on top of the soil. So easy to do! Both last year and this year there was almost 100% germination.

This fall I saved seeds from 29 of my most favorite heuchera here in my yard. Some of these are seeds from my 2012 seedlings that bloomed this summer too!

Brenda

• beth_b_kodiak
    10 years ago

valleyring girl, did you wintersow the huchera? Any sprouts yet?
    I have two flats of commercial seeds but so far....nothing showing

• vera_eastern_wa
    9 years ago

Just wanted to update my post.
    Those same no-name red Heuchera that didn't germinate using the wintersow method last year had nearly 100% germination with indoor sowing this year! LOL! Too funny.

Vera

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

That is great news for you and the rest of us that always think about buying those seeds but don't.. It isn't to late to start some now. Thanks for posting the results. Debra

• angophora1
    9 years ago

I am struggling with seeds.. Of the last 2400 seeds sown... I have one two leaf seedling growing.... In seed raising mix... No pearlite or vermiculite... Heuchera seeds purchased online from UK and USA.. Thinking of gel as last final attempt... Anyone else tried gel?

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    9 years ago

Hi, I have already cut the blooms off most of my heucheras, I don't like them. I'll let the rest go and save seeds for the ones I haven't cut yet and revisit this thread for those who want them.

Lisa

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA