Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The secret to starting from seed?

Posted by gandj 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 13:19

So, we started seed sowing for the first time, this year. Everything is growing fine except the 1 plant I was most interested in... The Heuchera! I didn't cover the seeds, and keep them about 65° at night. It's only been a few weeks since we started the seed, but everything else is coming up (even the hot peppers!). Any secrets to starting Heuchera from seed?
Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The secret to starting from seed?

I've only grown them from seed once, but I had great results. I used the wintersowing technique and it seemed as if every seed sprouted. The plants got crowded fast, since I sowed quite generously, so I planted them out when they were still tiny. I haven't had a chance to pull back the leaves and pine needles yet to see how they survived the winter. I think you just need to give them more time. Remember how small those seeds were? The seedlings will start equally small, so will need some extra time to grow big enough to be seen. Good luck,

Martha

o

According to the seed germination database, heuchera of several different species are slow to germinate. A couple it shows needs a cold strat, but I'm assuming the ones you have have villosa in their heritage, so they may not need the cold, just patience. :)

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed Germination Database -- H

o

Docmom, I wanted to try winter sowing but haven't had the chance yet. May do it this winter. We're going to keep trying even if we don't get anything from this batch of seeds. I think I can plant seedlings right up to early fall?

o

Tepelus;
"but I'm assuming the ones you have have villosa in their heritage..."
I'm new to Heuchera so I would have no clue. I ordered a packet of "Melting Fire" after seeing Heuchera growing in a few different places, this past winter. From the seed germination db, they're not talking chilling but freezing? I'm hoping I can get this variety to grow, cause I'd like to try some others. Thanks for the database link, bookmarked it....

o

Looking up Melting Fire, it looks like it is a micanthra and on the database it shows the seeds sprouting at 68 degrees in two weeks, but I would give them some time. They may not be warm enough or ready to sprout yet.

Karen

o

Cool. I'll just wait em out. I'm not seeing any fungus in the cells, so no problems waiting. I also just realized that the seeds i sowed were pelleted. I'm thinking that could extend the time....

o

Karen, you were right on!
I wanted to wait to take a pic until they were a bit bigger, but couldn't.
Never ever have we started such tiny seedlings!
Thanks,
G and J

o

I just planted the Marvelous Marble & Molten Fire I grew from seed. Also another lime green I'm not sure the name of. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy they were. I just wish there were more varieties available from seed.

o

Yay! Congrats on your sprouts.

Karen

o

Please tell me where on earth I can buy heuchera seeds? I love them but they are so expensive to buy at the nurseries!

o

I just got my seed at a local store...they were not named though...just a pic with red blooms and couldn't resist lol!
No sprouts yet, but it's only been a week...AND they were started in the "winter sow" manner....
A few years back I wintersowed seeds taken from 'Purple Palace' and had great results :)

Vera

o

So, did the heuchera seeds sprout?

I start heuchera seeds just like a petunia seed...on top of the soil. So easy to do! Both last year and this year there was almost 100% germination.

This fall I saved seeds from 29 of my most favorite heuchera here in my yard. Some of these are seeds from my 2012 seedlings that bloomed this summer too!

Brenda

o

valleyring girl, did you wintersow the huchera? Any sprouts yet?
I have two flats of commercial seeds but so far....nothing showing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here