Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadie88

Today's big haul! ID help?

jadie88
9 years ago

I'm on a heuchera high right now! I bought some mulch at Home Depot and stopped in my tracks when I saw a large assortment of heuchera/heucherella...$7.98 for good 1gal pots!

The downside is that only a few of them had cultivar names. The others were so helpfully labelled "perennial coral bells." Hmm. You guys want to play the "could it be..." game?

This post was edited by jadie88 on Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 18:35

Comments (24)

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Peach Crisp"

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Fire Chief' The red is so vivid in real life!

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Gold(en?) Zebra'

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unlabeled. 'Big Top Burgundy?' The leaves are huge!

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unlabeled. 'Caramel?' This one is actually from last year.

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Frosted Violet.' Love this one!

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

'Circus'

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one I'm really curious about. It's beautiful! It has such a glow about it. Any guesses?

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a closer look at that last one

• lvmygrdn1
    9 years ago

I'm new to heuchera/ella but will take a stab at it. Could the last one be Heucherella Honey Rose? You did well. New plants are so much fun!

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Wow, jadie, great haul! I'm jealous! The big box stores around here have the same 2 they've been carrying for the past 5 years. BORING!!!

Your guesses seem pretty good. I would say that the one you thought might be Big Top Burgundy could actually be Beaujolais. I have that one and it looks similar to that at the beginning of the season. The leaves are really large.

That last one could possibly be Carnival Watermelon. It has a really pretty glow to it. If some new growth comes out, take a pic and post it if you can. It'll be easy to tell then. Honey Rose is a fair guess as well. Sometimes it's easier to i.d. them when new growth comes out because that's when they're most distinctive.

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FlowerFrenzy, I have also been very surprised at what our big box GCs stock. I found hostas 'Guardian Angel' and 'Seducer' among several other cultivars. And in addition to the ones I bought, there were several other 'anonymous' heuchs that I will probably go back for today. No impulse control here, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the suggestions...I think you called it on Beaujolais...looks right to me. I'll keep an eye on the last one and see if the flowers and new growth give it away. Whatever it is, I'm a fan!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Nice, Jadie. Off I'll go tomorrow and hunt around at my local Home Depots and Lowe's. Thanks for the pics.

Don B.

• lvmygrdn1
    9 years ago

Here in Maryland, Loews has Zebra Huecherella, Peach Crisp, & Caramel Heuchera @$10.98 for a gal. Pot. Home Depot has no name gallon pots for $7.98. Looked like Caramel and reddish purple one with average size leaves. Both stores had healthy stock as they just came in. I'm headed to the nurseries today. I should be going to a 12 step program for plant addiction.

It is a lovely crisp morning here. I hope it's nice in your neck of the woods.

Ree

• Debra Vessels
    9 years ago

I also bought several form HD last month and mine were labeled. I think the large dark purple could be Carnival 'Plum Crazy' here is a picture of mine. I think F-F is right about the Carnival Watermelon. I don't have a good picture of Watermelon, it looks horrible right now form the freeze.

• lvmygrdn1
    9 years ago

Went out for mulch and came back with Delta Dawn, Midnight Rose, Southern Comfort, foxgloves and coleus. Forgot the mulch. Love this time of year.

• unbiddenn
    9 years ago

If your 'Golden Zebra' turns a lightish green later in the season, Its 'Stoplight', smaller, deeply puckered and colored changing, and it is 'Alabama Sunrise'.

I think your last one is 'Pinot Gris' because of the rosey underside of the leaf and the muted tones that range thru the coal bell spectrum. There should be a bit of a frosted appearance to the top of the leaf,too.

• jadie88
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You are all so helpful...thanks for the possible IDs, I will have to keep an eye on my no-names. So far Pinot Gris looks quite right...

This post was edited by jadie88 on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 22:12

• esther_b
    9 years ago

Great haul! Nice looking heuchies. The only heuchie I saw the other day at my local HD was Pinot Gris. My local HDs generally carry Palace Purple, Pinot Gris, maybe Caramel, some of them have Stoplight. They never have the really pretty ones I adore, so I have to get those online. Right now, I'm expecting the Lil Cutie "Ginger Snap".

I DID make a great find at HD Friday, bringing home a wonderful specimen of a rose I'd just been checking out online for blackspot resistance just that very afternoon! It's "Strike It Rich" and for $20, I could pick out the best specimen and didn't have to wait for arrival from an online purchase. Also, I think it was cheaper than having to pay shipping costs.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Lucky you! On my way out the door to check out Lowe's. May forget the mulch, too!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Still NO HEUCHERAS at any of my local Home Depots or Lowe's. I know they'll be there eventually, but COME ON.

Don B.

• HeuchHogan
    9 years ago

Interesting to hear what the big box stores around the country sell. I suppose it's up to the individual manager's to pick what heuch's they stock?

In OKC Lowes started with 2 gallon pots of Peach Crisp and Fire Chief. Although I did find a Georgia Peach marked as a Peach Crisp and snatched it up. They also carried 2 gallon pots with three more common heuchs such as Southern Comfort, Palace Purple and a green one who's name I forget. All 2 gallons were $14.98.

Now Lowes has 1 gallon heuchs for $9.98. In the Carnival series, Watermelon, Cocomint and Coffee Bean. They also have Golden Zebra.

Home Depot carries one gallon Heuch from one nursery for $6.98 and another for $9.98. This past week the $6.98 Heuchs were one sale with other perrenials for $3.33 each. Different stores had different selections. Picked up Obsidian, Firefly, Carnival Watermelon and Plum Pudding.

The Plum Pudding look exactly like the palace Purple I have only taller. Anyone think they are similar or did I get mismarked plants? They are really dark purple and there's no veining.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

HH-I wish the big box stores around here had your variety! Ours are so boring!

I grow both Plum Pudding and Palace Purple and they look nothing alike at all. The shape of their leaves are different and Plum Pudding has a silvery overlay to the leaves.

• HeuchHogan
    9 years ago

I planted them all this morning and they are identical. Newbie error. I need to check what grower they came from and be more careful. They were from Home Depot.

Sponsored
Custom Residential Homes & Full Service Renovations