Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coxy_gw

Home Depot's great offerings!

coxy
11 years ago

Today I bought HUGE Caramel and Pinot Gris for 15.00 each. It's a bit discouraging when I think of the mail orders I put in during times when I was desperate for spring. They will be so small for not much less than I paid for these beauties.

Comments (13)

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

Home Depot does have some nice deals. I got Caramel there several years ago and it's done great.

I think the difference is that with HD, they don't really carry the Terra Nova's... the more 'designer' looking heuchs. And TN's wholesale is expensive to growers. So it doesn't fit with HD's big-box sort of mentality.

That said, I did purchase half-dozen new-to-me varieties last year.

This year the garden section isn't even open yet. It's barely above freezing here at 9:20 am.

• ramazz
    11 years ago

Oh, I may have to check that out. Are they big enough to divide?

• coxy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, definitely-they are very large. Today, I also got 2 I didn't have from Lowes. Alabama Sunrise Foamy Bells Heucherella and Sweet Tea. Both 10.00 each and a good size.

• marquest
    11 years ago

coxy, I cannot believe the prices are different. Ours are 6.98. I picked up Georgia Peach I had 2 caramels I had picked up on sale end of season last year. I already have GP but she is so pretty I wanted to put one in the back gardens.

• marquest
    11 years ago

About Home Depot. I picked these up at the end of last year at HD for 6.00 there are 2 in the pot but no name. Any idea? Did anyone pic them up and have a name? Thank you.

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

The one on the left is probably Caramel. The other one it's hard to tell. Our HD had a ton of purples last year.... names I had no idea about.

• marquest
    11 years ago

Will a closer pic help? This is Spring color. It has some pink splashes.

This post was edited by marquest on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 12:14

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Plum Pudding? Amethyst Myst? Still hard to say.

tj

• coxy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marquest, the two from Lowe's are in a 1 gal pot for 10 each but the 2 varieties from HD are easily in a 3 gallon pot. They are 3xbigger than the ones from Lowe's. For that size I was glad to pay 15. Weird tho that your prices seem to be somewhat lower there-you're not that far away.

• marquest
    11 years ago

Coxy, I guess that explains the price difference. The ones I got at HD are gallon size.

tsugajunkie, thank you. I know it is hard to name these from a picture or in person. I thought maybe someone had brought them last year and they had tags. Usually HD have name tags in their pots for the Hercs.

• valtorrez
    10 years ago

I had to move several daylilly patches dt my rose bush shading them too much and just had to go to lowes to find a replacement. I any up purchasing several large fire chiefs for the $15. I found that I needed more to make it look better and went to HD. I was able to get the Vigora brand Sweet Tea and Circus for $9. I was sort of mad that I paid more at Lowes but not mad because Lowes had more varieties. I had 4 heucheras to die in the 100 degree weather we had last year. The only two left standing are my darker colored ones with the pink lines (I cant think of name). They just florish in the heat/sun.

• coxy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! I'm going back to both places today. I want Fire Chief and would get Circus if it's there even tho I don't know what it looks like.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

My local Queens HD had Caramel, Pinot Gris and some unlabeled varieties. One of the latter was deep purple, kind of eh and the other was also purple, also eh. Left them there. Had I seen GP, I would have brought one home. Am expecting one in the mail in a couple weeks, along with Rio, Golden Zebra, and a couple of others.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH