Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Which Heucheras Get Nice and BIG?

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi everyone. I have 'Georgia Peach', and it's becoming a big, rather open clump. I like it. If you don't mind, would anyone drop some names on which varieties are some of the biggest? It's certainly not a prerequisite on which ones I'll get this season, but I would like to have a few big heuchera cultivars scattered about the gardens.

Thanks for any ideas.

Don B.

Comments (26)

• Debra Vessels
    10 years ago

Don, so far my largest are Spell Bound, Magnum, Plum Crazy and Southern Comfort. All planted last year, and out of 24 varieties, these are the largest. Oh, and Sweet Tea. I have them planted in three different areas, and some repeats so I am curious to see which ones do best in which light. Debra

• Debra Vessels
    10 years ago

Debra

This post was edited by DebraV on Sun, Apr 13, 14 at 9:32

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, Debra.

Don B.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

My Georgia Peach is my pride and joy among my heuchies, but Marmalade is just a gorgeous thing, and mine got pretty darn BIG. The rest of my heuchies are intentionally the smaller ones, due to my urban lack of space. But they are lovely just the same!

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Esther, I just looked up Marmalade, and I love it. It goes on my heuchera list-to-get.

Thanks for the tip.

Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Hi Don. Here are some of my larger varieties. First up is 'Beaujolais'. The leaves get darker purple and more veined later in the season.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Hercules' is really large and a strong grower, too.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Carnival Watermelon' is on the large side...and super gorgeous!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Plum Pudding' is a great choice.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Blackout' gets bronze black leaves in the spring that turn dark greenish purple in summer. Large and VERY sun tolerant.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Delta Dawn' is on the large side with really big leaves. The leaves turn green with red veins in the summer and the plant looks totally different.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Zipper' is of good size and super bright!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Good to know you've got 'Georgia Peach'. I think everyone needs at least one of these.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Pinot Gris' gets huge!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Southern Comfort' is a great one. It likes mostly shade.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

'Raspberry Ice' gets nice and big, plus it flowers prolifically.

This post was edited by flower-frenzy on Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 16:40

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Finally, I like heucherella 'Cracked Ice'. It gets big, has nice serrated leaves and is tri-colored come fall. Some leaves stay silver, while others turn green and some get plum colored. It's a good one.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Your 'Georgia Peach' looks great, FlowerFrenzy. Very upright. Mine looks pretty good, healthy, but seems to sprawl in it's growth, and doesn't appear to get 'tall' (Which is OK, I still love it.) Does yours eventually get top-heavy and sprawl, or does it typically stay as shown in your photo?

Thanks for all the great pics. : )

Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Yes, it eventually sprawls. It's upright now because it's putting on new growth.

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Easier to just post mine as well, instead of going through what's been mentioned so far, so just think of the already mentioned ones as a second vote!

These all have gotten big for me. Please excuse the pollen, I just went out and grabbed these shots for you.

Carnival Watermelon (what a heuchera!!! the color is to die for and it didn't miss a beat this winter):

Cajun Fire (doubled, if not tripled already from last year's size):

Key Lime Pie:

Kassandra (4 times bigger already than it was last year!):

Licorice (my biggest one, just starting to pop up this year):

Obsidian:

Also, Creme Brulee, second Blackout, Georgia Peach, Sweet Tea and Amethyst Falls (I think someone said that?!). Keep in mind mine are just now starting to fill in, a lot more growing and shaping up expected over the coming weeks!

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Gorgeous pictures, fun. Thanks for sharing them!

I have to agree with you on 'Carnival Watermelon'. It's stunning!

• lvmygrdn1
    10 years ago

I'm new to this board and heucheras. I was at the nursery shopping for something else and looked at the heucheras. Left and came back the next day for 3 Georgia Peach. Then this week I stopped by and picked up Paprika. My list is growing see all the beautiful photographs. I really want Zipper and Carnival Watermelon but can't find it locally I might have to order online. I'm in Maryland and understand the villosa's do better in the heat and humidity. Thank you again.

• flowerchild59
    9 years ago

I have a Pistache last year that was the size of a small shrub, ie, a couple of feet across. I had it in a circle around a tree type of situation and it dwarfed everything. I had to move it this spring to where it can spread its wings and not engulf the neighbors.

• cakbu
    9 years ago

Funnthsun: I notice in your pictures that you use smooth rocks to write the name of the plant. What do you use for the writing that will not wash off when plants are watered?

• gardenfanatic2003
    9 years ago

I have a Green Spice that seems to be bulletproof and gets huge. Love that plant!

Deanna

• anniegolden
    9 years ago

Mocha gets big. It is a dusky chocolate with just the barest hint of burgundy, leaves have a flat matte finish. Sorry, I don't have a good picture. Mocha is a wonderful foil for refreshing greenery like hostas and ferns. The plant is large and the leaves themselves are large. It isn't a focal point - it's the negative space that sets off the garden showoffs. In fact, it will blend right into the mulch, so it needs to be positioned near to its neighbors. I seem to not be very good at growing heuchera, but this one has done well in my gardens.