Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

First topic: What have you lost?

thisismelissa
11 years ago

Well, I'll toss out the first topic of discussion:

What Heuchera/Heucherella/Tiarella have you lost this winter.

I'll take inventory when I get home. I've not yet blown the leaves off my heuchera gargen, so I'll have to see. I have lost several. Most were planted last year. Some were in pots that I overwintered in the garage.

I have one in a pot 'Electra' that is showing no signs of life, so I'm thinking it's a gonner.

I've also not seen 'Redstone Falls' or 'Yellowstone Falls'...also in pots

Comments (18)

• mjjones453
    11 years ago

None, mine have over-wintered well this year. We had a pretty mild winter. Mary

• Cher
    11 years ago

I haven't lost any. Don't have the varieties you mentioned though. Have 14 different ones with a few of them being repeated many times here. Mine are all full sun.
    Cher

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, I should mention that I think I lost several of mine due to dry and windy fall. Our winter was rather mild with very little snow and not that cold.
    But, the lack of snow cover and drying winds might have added to the problem.
    I'm pretty certain Pino Gris was a goner last fall. Too bad, cuz it was GOR-JUSS

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

I lost Berry Smoothie. I think it might be a location issue so I am going to try it again in another spot. The color was fabulous.

I lost 2 of 3 of the same noid (looks like silver scrolls) that I tried to overwinter in pots. I blame drainage. I have several of these in my garden also and they overwintered well.

Beverly

• bettylu_zone6a
    11 years ago

I did not lose any over the winter, but I killed a few last spring/summer by overwatering! I managed to rescue a tiny bit of my Caramel and it is doing great - though a lot smaller than it was.

I had some Heuchera seeds I received on the Winter Sowing forum a couple of years ago and the babies are really coming into their own now. It takes 2-3 years to get a nice sized plant from seed, but the interesting results make it worth the wait. They are all different and who knows what they are crossed with! I would definitely try seeds again - I just have to figure out how to collect them (they are so teeny-tiny!) Now that they are showing their colors - I am going to have to take some pictures!

BettyLu

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I lost Melting Fire due to too much winter wet and nearly lost Electra, bad placement, too much root competition, but it's coming back around in its new spot next to Southern Comfort which is growing like a weed. :)

Karen

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

I lost Midnight Bayou after one year in my garden. It vanished without a trace and was planted in the vicinity of Caramel and Silver Scrolls which are thriving. The tiarellas also completely disappeared, but I'm pretty sure that was the bunnies munching away, and I'm just not going to replace them.

Christine

• TheHostaCottage
    11 years ago

I've lost Lime Rickey. I've read that it's hard to grow so I don't plan on replacing it.

• jaco42
    11 years ago

Key Lime Pie loved it it lasted 2 seasons will replace it soon.

• marquest
    11 years ago

I did not lose any this year. I thought snow angel was gone but she is coming back tiny as usual for the last 4 years. I will put her in a pot this year and see what happens. I might have to give up on this one.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

I've lost 1 Obsidian (one is thriving I've had it for over 3 years), Lime Rickey (went really fast), 1 Georgia Peach (1 is struggling)

My successes are Can Can - in shade (my favorite it's 4-5 years old!), Obsidian -full sun, Palace Purple - in shade (finicky as all heck, had it 4 years and the first 3 its leaves were never bigger than a quarter. I left it to its own devices and lo and behold finally it is thriving!)

And 2 new additions Citronelle and Amethyst ?

Rena'

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    11 years ago

I've not had good luck with Heucheras in the past, however with so many new varieties I thought I'd give them another try, so last year I bought Lemon Chiffon, Palace Purple and Silver Scrolls. LC died over the winter and PP and SS look pretty ratty.
    I'll probably give them another try as last winter was unusual with a paucity of snow cover - more ice cover than snow cover.

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

I lost Palace Purple, Can Can, and Raspberry Ice. We had a mild and dry winter, but it was preceded by a scorching hot summer of drought. I hardly watered, so I think that was the beginning of their demise.

Heuchera are kinda fussy - that's why I hate spending a lot of money on them.

Deanna

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Mild dry winter. I lost none but have only been growing them since last year. I have maybe 35-40 plants, about 8-10 varieties. But I think they are more common.

• marquest
    11 years ago

Deanna, I agree with you. They are not an easy plant. I will not pay a lot for them either. Will not pay more than 8.00 so I wait for online sales and my local nursery puts them on sale.

I do think that we want to grow them in places that they are not meant to be grown. They look great with Hostas and ferns and most do not like that much shade. If you do not have the perfect drainage they are dead. Too much sun they will die. lol There are a lot of things that will kill them.

What I learned..

-When you find what grows good in your climate notice I said climate and not zone. Zone 6 PA and Zone 6 NJ is different.

-When I started growing them and losing them I started watching where people lived and what they were reporting survived.

-They should not be planted deep. The crown should be above soil.

-They grow great in pots. Lay the pots on their side in the winter.

These have been in this pot for 4 winters,

• weekendweeder
    11 years ago

Late to this thread, but I lost Georgia Peach to some crocuses overrunning it. And I lost two out of six Palace Purples--perhaps from root competition under a spruce (still not sure).

• thisismelissa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, I'm being visited by some bunnies who have discovered a heuchera buffet. But like weeendweeder, I've lost a Palace Purple.... 2nd time I've lost it in this spot. Not sure if it's maple roots or standing water. It's in the low point of the bed.

• alyciaadamo
    11 years ago

I think I might of only lost mocha this year but I have lost a few the last couple of years.

Miracle
    Fire Chief
    Peppermint Spice
    Citronelle

The problem is that I have so many that look similar and I went through and separated a whole bunch the last two years that I am not sure who is who except the truly distinguishable like Sashay especially since I don't have any other green ones. I lost one of these but not sure which one Autumn Leaves or Sparkling Burgundy. I also have Plum Pudding and Dolce Licorice who I can't easily tell apart.