Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindycrna72

Dale's Strain

Cindy
11 years ago

I was perusing my local selection of Coral Bells and the gentleman working there, who is an enabler (!), suggested I needed to add this one as it is the grandfather of all the others. It is the wild form found and hybridized so I figured I needed to add it for completeness....at least that's my excuse!!

Comments (18)

• victorine72
    11 years ago

I bought several of these about three years ago on a whim. I thought they would make for an interesting contrast planted next to the other specialty heucheras in my garden. I ended up digging all of them up and selling them on craigslist this spring because they grew to be way too big and, IMHO, kinda plain compared to most other heucheras. The silver leaf tinge isn't very noticeable, so the plant just looks like a lump of green leaves.

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Victorine, how big did they get? I have a Caramel that gets about 14" round but it is a dense round mound. Did this one get leggy? Kinda glad I only got 1.

• frostynyc
    11 years ago

Meh. Don't listen to the haters! My Dale's Strain is gorgeous, with dark green leaves, silver dusting, and red veins. I'm surprised yours is so green. Mine looks like this picture:

http://www.stewo.no/H/Heuchera%20americana%20'Dales%20Strain'%209.jpg

• weekendweeder
    11 years ago

I was hoping for bigger leaves and more marbling on my Dale's Strain, but it hasn't happened yet in the year it's been in my garden, in dappled morning light. (Caramel is the gold standard in my garden--it just took off the way no other heuchera has.)

However, it looks great by my blue hostas AND it attracts hummingbirds, so I'm not planning to move it.

• floota
    11 years ago

Weekendweeder,
    Wow, what you have blooming does not look at all like my Dale's Strain. My Dale's Strain does not have the nice pink blooms at all, just ugly greenish things. This picture looks instead a LOT like the Bressingham hybrids???? I used to grow about 3 of those but lost them all during a bad winter a few years ago. I will try and take some pictures of Dales Strain this week and post them.

• weekendweeder
    11 years ago

Sheesh, maybe the three of them had the wrong tags on from Lowe's? I was wondering why the red veining wasn't so prominent... Will look out for your photos floota. Thanks for the tip on Bressingham hybrids.

• Cher
    11 years ago

One thing I noticed at Lowe's this year (and apparently last year). They had lots of pots all labeled Palace Purple and only about a third were. Some were Can Can and have no clue what they big leaf green was but not PP. Last year I noticed I bought a couple things that I realize now are NOT what they were labeled. I think they are ordering so many of PP and if the grower doesn't have enough they just stick tags in others to bring up the total. Now you can get nice ones from them, but you have to know what they are in looks before buying them. So far the gallons seem labeled pretty accurately.
    Cher

• floota
    11 years ago

I have noticed MANY incorrectly labeled heuchs at Lowe's. This year they had 'Beaujolis' incorrectly labelled and another that I can't remember.
    Here's a pic taken a few years ago of some of the Bressingham hybrids.

• weekendweeder
    11 years ago

I was at Lowe's this weekend and took a look at their Dale's Strain stock, and it looked nothing like mine.

floota, am I correct in reading "Renegade Ranger" on the tag? (Sorry to derail this thread! Let me know if I should start a new one.)

• floota
    11 years ago

Yes, Renegade Ranger is the name of a daylily behind the heuchera!

• floota
    11 years ago

Weekend weeder, here are images of Dale's Strain as it grows here with a close up of the foliage.

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Floota, yes, yours looks like mine. Weekendweeder, no worries. I get sidetracked myself in threads. One question always leads to branches! :)

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Frosty, how much sun does yours get?

Deanna

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    11 years ago

I planted about 6 of them 5 or so years ago (ordered from Bluestone). All are big and lush, and have the silver markings, but the amount of red is quite variable. Really only 1 or 2 show any red to speak of, and the red veins were the whole reason why I bought them.

I was wondering if they are seed grown and thus show a lot of genetic variability.

These tags you are talking about at Lowe's: permanent tags stuck or stapled to the pots, or removable stakes?

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    11 years ago

Hi all, finally finding time to pop in on the heuchera forum. I've been reading when I've had a chance but first time replying. I also have Dale's Strain but don't see the red veins either. Have to agree on the green "flowers". It has been a good grower though.

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is it supposed to have red veins?? Here is a nursery pic and I see no red veins: http://www.creekhillnursery.com/index.php/catalog/item/heu-dale-s-strain?category_id=63

• LoboGothic
    11 years ago

Bought 2 of these last fall and yes, the flower stalks are unattractive. Quite green with lots of leaves which overshadow the foliage below. I've been considering removing them but would interesting offspring result if I planted some of the seeds? Would it depend on their neighbours? Creme Caramel, Palace Purple, Caramel, an unidentified red one, Electric Lime and another lime green with white patches on the leaves.

• LoboGothic
    11 years ago

Bought 2 of these last fall and yes, the flower stalks are unattractive. Quite green with lots of leaves which overshadow the foliage below. I've been considering removing them but would interesting offspring result if I planted some of the seeds? Would it depend on their neighbours? Creme Caramel, Palace Purple, Caramel, an unidentified red one, Electric Lime and another lime green with white patches on the leaves.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio