Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you Fertilize

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Sun, May 6, 12 at 10:47

Just wondering if any fertilize your Hercs.

If you do what fertilize you use, and how often?

I see many directions say Hercs do not need fert. But the instructions say fertile moist soil. I have to ask how many of us have this perfect fluffy fertile woodland garden soil? Of course to garden you should and do improve your soil with compost but.....if that does not give you the perfect soil why is it assumed or instructions given that Hercs do no need Fertilizer.

I stumbled on increasing survival of my Hercs by doing 2 things. I have switched to only buying the ones I know that seem to have stronger growth records for my zone...for me it is Villosa and I fertilize once a month. I use half strength of M-grow acid fertilizer. Since I started doing that I have not lost any for 3 years. I get vigorous growth and improved color.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you Fertilize

In the past 2 years I have become a big fan of alfalfa pellets. Sold in 50 lb sacks for about $13, it's horse food. All kinds of plants seem to love it. The downside is that it looks terrible, especially after it breaks down, it looks yucky. I use it anyway. 3-0-2 plus micronutrients, and it's a soil conditioner. If I had an unlimited supply of compost I would toss the alfalfa pellets around, then cover them up with compost.
Christine

o

I use 14-14-14 Osmocote every spring. I just thought it wouldnt be a bad idea.

o

I toss alfalfa pellets around and also try to top dress the entire garden annually. I do not have a problem with how the alfalfa pellets look. Too many plants too close together to see or worry about it :)

o

I use 5-10-10 once in the spring but they are planted in good soil. I have a number of heucheras in containers and they get Miracle-Gro a lot, like all my containers which are mostly annuals. I have to say those heucheras are triple the size of those in the ground, not that I plan on Miracle-Gro-ing my perennials.

o

I went to a lecture given by Dan Heims of Terra Nova on Saturday and he mentioned fertilizing those he has in containers in his display garden but no others. He has some huge moss/coir hanging baskets full of Huecheras that hang in big trees.

I have pictures from an open day at Terra Nova but for some reason Photobucket is blocking my pictures from showing lately. Haven't figured out what the problem is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here