Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

collecting ambitions?

jan_on zone 5b
11 years ago

There seem to be hosta collectors who have an unending appetite for more and more hostas, accumulating impressive numbers in the 4 digits! With more than 8000 to choose from, having them "all" would be an impossible goal. HOWEVER - the numbers of available heucheras are much more modest, so its not unreasonable to think someone might have them all. Is anyone contemplating that goal while surveying their planting spaces???

Jan

Comments (8)

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

I can't collect them all. I have thought about it though. Now I'm just trying to stick to certain colors and arranging them to look striking.

• marquest
    11 years ago

It just is not in my DNA to be a collector. I just like to buy a lot of everything that I like. I do not like every hosta and I do not like every Heuchlera or every Heuchlera does not like me since I brought some and they died. lol

Also like Hosta I do not like to buy it just because it has a name and it looks like the other one with another name.

I do love them I am like echinaceamaniac I want to put together a pretty display in my driveway garden bed that everybody including me will Ooh and Ahh when I come down that driveway. I have a picture in my mind of a colorful foliage garden with very few flowers from Spring to Fall.

• tracyvine
    11 years ago

I'm not going to collect them all but I do have a large assortment of the heucheras in with my hosta. Heucherellas and Tiarellas too. I love the striking contrast in colors and markings against the hostas and also in my rock garden.

• thisismelissa
    10 years ago

I'm more drawn to heuchera than hosta, but I have little to no desire to have them "all".

I do, however, find the variety in these plants, to be absolutely stunning. Much like as a kid, I wanted to have the biggest box of available crayon colors, I find myselfing wanting "all the colors" of heuchs.

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

I love both Hosta and Heuchera.Now if you want to really see all the Heucs available or at least most of them, check out a site called Heuchera Dream. I have it on my favorites and every time I go on, I drool!!

• marquest
    10 years ago

rosie can you post the link please?

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is this the site you mean? It's fabulous - and so easy to navigate even in 'non English'. Wonderful pictures - i want, I want, I want!!!
    Jan

Here is a link that might be useful: Heucheradream

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

That is the one,Jan! Aren't they gorgeous? I have a Heuchera on my deck that has to be one of the first I got, sort of by accident. It is called Creme De Menthe I posted the name on Bing and came up with all kinds of pictures.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler