Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginny12first

Do you cut the flowers off?

ginny12
11 years ago

I love heucheras but the flowers on the newer ones are not very attractive so I cut them off. So I'm really growing them as foliage plants.

Does anyone else do this? What do you think of the flowers?

Comments (11)

• valleyrimgirl
    11 years ago

If I want to start seedlings from the heuchera with foliage I like... then...I need to let the plant flower and form seeds.

Otherwise, yes, I remove the scape as it forms so I don't have the unattractive flowers on the plant.

Brenda

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Generally I gripe about how unattractive the flowers are, but don't get around to doing anything about it until time to deadhead! Happily the flowers don't last long!!
    Jan

• marquest
    11 years ago

I agree with leaving them until the flowers go to seed. But I have so many gardens I really do not have a lot of time to obsess about a few stems sticking up. I am like Jan I would never get to them before they went to seed anyway. lol

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    11 years ago

It depends.

I wouldn't dream of cutting the flowers off of the following varieties:
    Rave On (Long Blooming coral flowers)
    Paris (Larger Long Blooming dark pink flowers)
    Beaujolais (Very long blooming light pink flowers)
    Silver Scrolls (Light pink flowers)
    Plum Royale (Light pink flowers)

Whether I cut the flowers off the varieties that have green or beige flowers depends on the location. When they are in front of other plants I usually cut these ones off. When the plant is on it's own, even the unattractive flowers can give the plant an interesting look.

Connie May

• maozamom NE Ohio
    11 years ago

I used to cut them off right as soon as the started. Then I realized how much the hummingbirds like them, so I leave them on until the bee balm starts to bloom.

mao

• ginny12
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That's a great list of good flowers, ConnieMay. Thanks. I wouldn't cut them off either.

But I don't think the new cultivars, which are very hybridized, would come true from seed, if they even set seed. Has anyone had experience with this?

• Cindy
    11 years ago

My Binoche just got all of it's flowers trimmed off today.Some were over 3' long laying on it's neighbors. Most of mine have upright flower stems but Binoche is new this year so we'll see if it does it next year. Other than that, I don't.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

'Green Spice' is one that I do cut off, they are tall and ugly. I've got another one too, a really dark purple one but I haven't matched up the name to the tag yet.

'Regina' has outstanding tall pretty coral flowers but they flop. Or at least mine did. Been a very wet spring here.

• fhoehnel
    11 years ago

Would you really think about cutting off these flowers?

Gegards from Germany
    Frank

Here is a link that might be useful:

• fhoehnel
    11 years ago

... or those flowers ?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

No, I would not cut either of those. Nor these:

NoId and Firefly

Ebony and Ivory