Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you pronounce the word 'Heuchera'?

Posted by hippieindenial 5b Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 12 at 17:42

I have met many people who say the word "Heuchera" many different ways.
I lot of people say "who-krrrr-ah" while others say "euchre-ah" (like the card game euchre with an 'ah' on the end.
How do you say it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you pronounce the word 'Heuchera'?

My 'Illustrated encyclopedia of Perennials" pronounces it
HUE-ker-ah (and so do I!)
Jan

o

I say Coral Bells! :)

o

I say Hercs. lol

o
Funny you should ask

I just went to a talk given by Dan Heims of Terra Nova and have his book Huecheras and Heucherellas right here. The correct pronunciation is HOY-Ker-uh after Johann Heinrich von Huecher. Plants named after people are pronounced how it is pronounced by the person even if Latin would be different.

However, Dan laughed and said no one pronounces it correctly including himself just as no one pronounces Forsythia (after Mr. Forsythe) or Clivia (after Mr. Clive) correctly

o

Monrovia's site says this:
Botanical Pronunciation: HEW-ker-a

That's the way I've always said it, but that sure doesn't mean it's correct. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: HEW-ker-a

o

Cindy, me too! :-)

Deanna

o

I read an article that said that most westerners say "hyew-ker-ah".

But then it went on to say that HOO-ker-ah is probably the more proper pronunciation.

o

Had typed an entire response before reading BorS.....that pretty much nails it :-) Plants named after real people should be pronounced the same as their name but we US'ers tend to mangle most names from foreign places. And there's the umpteen years of attempting to artificially latinize these names before any kind of uniformity of pronunciation was adopted.

FWIW, it may be "correct" but I've yet to hear anyone asking for a 'hoy-ker-uh' at the nursery or using that pronunciation but I hear 'hoo-ker-ah' all the time. Also 'hoo-chair-a' (emphasis on 'chair'!!).

o

When naming plants I say spell it they way you want it pronounced or it's a free for all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here