Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindycrna72

Midnight Rose

Cindy
11 years ago

Just bought about 3 weeks ago. Different, I like it.

Comments (19)

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

That's a pretty one. If heuchera growers use the 10foot rule it certainly passes. I have read that the more light it gets, the larger the pink spots will be. Have fun with it.
    Jan

• kskaren
    11 years ago

Oh so pretty!!

Karen

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I've had it several years, really like it.

• marquest
    11 years ago

I have killed it twice. The deer love it and that might be why it did not come back.

It really is a pretty one.

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh, my, Marquest, I thought deer didn't like Coral Bells. Thanks for the heads up. I will put it on my deer spraying rounds.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

That's one of my faves. I'm not usually someone who likes such girly-variegated plants, but I really love MR for some reason. I even planted it in two places i love it so much. Yours is a beauty!

• marquest
    11 years ago

Cindy yes they love Hercs. Everything I read say they are deer resistant but I think my deer did not get that memo. I have tried them all over my property and every place I have tried they find them and eat the leaves like Hostas. I have to continue to spray to grow them.

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marquest, what are you spraying with? I use Bobbex but have some Plantskydd I want to try this year.

• marquest
    11 years ago

I used them all and they were not working.

I asked my local nursery and they told me to use Bonide Organic Repels-All Animal Repellent . It has worked better for me than anything I have tried.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonide Organic Repels

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dried, blood, putrid egg whites and garlic! Yum!!

• alina_1
    11 years ago

I tried all kinds of repellents, including home made and Plantskydd. They all have the same drawbacks - they smell horrible, they leave an ugly residue, and they have to be re-applied after each rain despite manufacturers' claims.

This year, I will try a systemic repellent (systemic Repellex tablets) - a completely new approach. It is based on hot pepper and safe for animals, birds, and bees. Really hope it will work :)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Pictures of my MR:

Karen

• valleyrimgirl
    11 years ago

I also have Midnight Rose and have it in two different places. Love it!!!

The deer don't seem to bother my heuchera, except in the fall and then, are selective in which ones that they nibble on. They seem to like green foliage of the many plants of Brandon Pinks Heuchera I have, rather than the dark foliaged heuchera here in the yard.

Brenda

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

There is a new one, 'Midnight Rose Select' that Terra Nova will be replacing 'Midnight Rose' with. They are no longer propagating MR.

According to their 2012 wholesale catalog all MR shipped from them this spring are MR Select even if tagged MR.

The new one has more pink variegation. Here is a photo I took last Saturday in their display garden. Sadly, it was raining.

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Buyorsell, love your trio of MR. Is there a difference between MR and MRS?

• nutmeg4061
    11 years ago

I was just recently reading about 'Midnight Rose Select'. I'll post the link, as well.
    Michelle

"A new introduction called "Midnight Rose Select" has recently been introduced but it is merely a more consistent splashing of the leaf at a more expensive price. If you get to the garden centers early and pick out the best of the first Midnight Rose selections you will essentially get the same thing as Midnight Rose Select."

Here is a link that might be useful: Midnight Rose

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

My photo doesn't really show the difference well. It was raining and the umbrella I was holding over the camera was blocking light. In person, in the display garden the difference between the two was very noticeable.

I just realized the catalog I was reading this information in is from Spring 2011 not 2012. must. put. on. glasses.

Anyway here is the page in the online catalog that shows the difference and explains.

Here is a link that might be useful: Midnight Rose

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Enter Page 118 to read about Midnight Rose, I copied the URL of that page but I guess it only goes to the cover.

The whole catalog is very interesting though.

My Midnight Rose has a lot less variegation than the Selects

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Since mine are new this year, they may be the Selects. They have very uniform splashing.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County