Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindycrna72

Who's growing Lime Rickey?

Cindy
11 years ago

It seems I have read some having trouble with it but I saw it at a nursery and it was really pretty. Does anyone recommend this one?

Comments (15)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

It is quite fussy and I had moved it around a few times before it finally seems to have found a place that it likes now. I almost lost it last year before I dug it up and grew it in a pot for the summer to recoup. Now it's the biggest and prettiest it has ever been in its new home. Hope it stays that way!

Lime Rickey with Midnight Bayou (which is trying to recoup from being chewed up by varmints) and Cherry Cola

Karen

• marquest
    11 years ago

tepelus, What conditions was it growing in that is different from where you are growing it now? More sun, less sun, different soil etc.

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Though still mostly shade it gets a little sun at different times of the day, and the shade is brighter. The soil isn't infested with maple tree roots and it's been amended with compost and horse manure, and holds moisture better.

Karen

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You know, I have noticed the darker ones are great for sun and shade but the paler ones like a bit of actual sun. Must have!

• marquest
    11 years ago

Thank you tepelus.

I have a Lime Herc but I do not remember the name. I have to go look at the label. It has been in the mostly sunny driveway bed for 3 yrs.. I do know any Terra Nova creations I do not buy until they are out for a few years and I see people posting in my zone that they are having good luck growing. I have a issue with them because they seem to pop them out too fast and do not test garden them in colder zones.

I am taking a stand of boycotting them and not giving them my money until they do more care of testing the strength of what they are developing. That is greed and it hurts the people because they think they cannot grow Hercs and are not a good garden plant.

The problem is they have so many that people have a better chance of buying these failures. They make all this money and do not care that you paid 15.00 for their duds and become their test garden subjects.

I guess you can tell I am a bit upset with them. lol

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

This 'Lime Rickey' has been in the same spot for about 6 years and would really like to be split, if only I had a place where I want more of them! It gets only early morning sun once the locust tree above it leafs out (it's late), and it probably has quite a lot of root competition, but soldiers on nevertheless.
    What an amazing colour they are!{{gwi:876832}}
    Jan

• debplus3
    11 years ago

I have grown it for a few years now and last year decided to try to divide it--subsequently over the winter, the squirrels ate it down below the soil to nothing as we had no snow cover and I thought I had lost it. I was patient and it is slowly coming back from beneath the soil and is the most wonderful shade of lime green--I love it!!!! I highly recommend it if you like that shade of green--it really set off the darker plants.

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

JanON, you say yours is ready to be split but it looks perfect. Are you saying it is big enough to be split ?

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Cindy - It is certainly big enough, but I also feel it just looks sort of cluttered and untidy as though it was trying to wander away rather than stay in a nice neaat mound! Dividing it might reinvigorate it and produce some larger leaves - maybe.
    Jan

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jan, I have read that about dividing, that it invigorates the plant and it makes it a nice neat mound again.

• maryann_va
    11 years ago

I originally planted mine in a terrible location. The soil around it was compacted clay. I dug a nice little (but, too little) hole to plant it in & amended that soil. It also got a lot of hot late afternoon sun and was under large pine branches, so even when it rained it didn't get a lot.

In spite of that, it survived, although it got smaller each year. I finally moved it to a nice little bed under a redbud where the soil had been tilled & amended, and it's repaying me for that kindness by looking really nice and healthy. It must be pretty tough to have survived the initial years of abuse.

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

My pour little 'Lime Ricky' seems to struggle. I'm afraid to move him, he's been in this spot for several years, but he's not happy! He gets morning sun and filtered afternoon sun, any suggestions to help his would be appreciated! Pour baby!

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sally, yours is getting the same amount of sun as the one posted above. I water mine at least every 2-3 days and fertilize with 14-14-14 Osmocote. Do you do that also? I think all of mine would struggle if I didn't baby them.

• sally_grower
    11 years ago

Cindy.....I don't do either....I'm a bad bad Mom! I guess I've never thought of giving him extra water. My hostas just take what nature gives them, so I assumed that it worked for heuchera too. I'll start doing both as you do and see if I can't help him get better. I'll post a picture in a couple of months so you can see the results.
    I'm going out right now. Do you think some miracle grow in water would work or should I just stick with the Osmocote and lots of water?

• Cindy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sally, a lot on the hosta forum like Miracle Grow because they can stop mid summer so the plants can slow down for winter. If you have Osmocote use that one time now (has to be the 14-14-14) or if you have Miracle Grow, use that but must be the balanced MG. MG makes so many different formulas. I never watered my hostas till last year unless they were babies but we had a brutal summer. I started watering daily and was shocked at the lushness and growth rate. Could not believe what simple watering could do. I still hand water at least every other day and my hostas and Coral Bells are just loving it. If your Lime Ricky is competing for water under a tree, it is very surprising how dry it soon gets.

Sponsored