Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmeg4061

Heuchera 'Fire Alarm'

nutmeg4061
11 years ago

From Terra Nova:

This gorgeous heuchera is a new and improved version of 'Autumn Leaves'. With super-vigorous, thick, leathery leaves, this delightful, low-spreading heuchera is sure to be a hit among our grower customers. Most notably, Fire Alarm, which has the reddest foliage of any heuchera, changes colors throughout the seasons. This beauty is ideal for accents, containers and mixed beds. Fire Alarm complements almost every section of the color palette, and of course, it can stand on its own without question. The average size includes 14" W / 9" H / 13" Flower H, and it performs well in zones 4-9. Additionally, Fire Alarm requires sun to shade for optimal growth.

Super-vigorous, thick, leathery and reddest??

SWOON! This is rocking my world! I think that's my next Heuc!

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera 'Fire Alarm'

Comments (21)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

I think I may have to find room for that one. I have Autumn Leaves and so far it hasn't been too vigorous, but for me heuchera usually aren't until they have been established in the ground for a while.

Karen

• plantgnome
    11 years ago

oooohhhh-love that one-I have room for one of those. I have so many heucheras-that one is a show stopper.

• tracyvine
    11 years ago

I have Fire Alarm and have to tell you it is a stunning plant. I have it planted next to Heuchera Lime Rickey and the tow of them together are show stoppers!

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Oh my - HOW PRETTY IS THAT????? There's always space for something that spectacular.Organizing a treasure hunt.....
    Jan

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I have it, find it a wimpy grower. The color is true but it sure isn't doing much...

See it next to Miracle in this picture:

They were both planted from 4" pots at the same time last summer, perhaps the summer before. Can't remember now.

• nutmeg4061
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Buyorsell, is it possible that you have the similar Fire Chief? Terra Nova's site says Fire Alarm is new in 2012, and is supposed to be vigorous.
    Either way, stunning color on yours!
    Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful: Heuchera 'Fire Chief'

• alina_1
    11 years ago

That was my question too :)
    I have 'Fire Chief' and I agree that it is wimpy.
    I was looking forward to buying 'Fire Alarm'.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Yes, you are correct, My Bad. I dug out all my tags but didn't have my glasses or a light on. I knew I had one that color....

It is 'Fire Chief'

The new for 2012 cultivars might not hit the stores yet as Terra Nova ships tiny plugs that must be grown up by the growers before selling to the public. Terra Nova doesn't ship retail sized plants. I forgot to ask the timeline when I was there last Saturday on a rare open to the public tour.

• alina_1
    11 years ago

'Fire Alarm' is already available for sale online.

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Good to know, I haven't seen it locally in person yet.

• echinaceamaniac
    11 years ago

I have both and they are basically selling the same plant with a different name. Side by side you cannot tell a difference bewtween it and Autumn Leaves.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    11 years ago

All, thank you for sharing this information. Will you have a picture of Fire Alarm after this long and hot summer? This is top on my shopping list. I am trying to get some idea what it looks like through the spring, summer and later summer seasons, particularly if the color will fade during the hot summer days.

Thanks again,
    Vivian

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

Gorgeous

• jeorchid
    11 years ago

As the breeder of Heuchera 'Fire Alarm' I had to join this forum to say that Heuchera 'Fire Alarm' is not as echinaceamaniac says "the same plant with a different name." He/She has obviously not grown these plants. 'Fire Alarm' is a bigger plant with shiny leathery red, red leaves. It took 3 more years of breeding to get a plant with leaves this red.

• marquest
    10 years ago

vivian_2010, How did this plant come through the winter, TN plants in my garden have had problems with longevity.

If they make it through the summer they have been a no show in the Spring.

10 years ago

Hi Marquest,

I am still waiting for it to show more growth. For a while I thought I lost it during the winter (much less snow this year). It finally emerge with tiny leaves. I did see a couple of new growth with brighter color. My other Heucheras are doing great with the rain. The Frost (received as a gift from Ilovehostas.net when I ordered the Fire Alarm last fall) is growing very well, beautiful color. The Georgia peach (3 rd year) is become big and blooming.

I would be interested to hear experience from others about Fire Alarm. The color was exceptional last fall. I may get more if this one gets better and lives its reputation as the breeder claims.

Fire Alarm June 1, 2013

Frost June 1, 2013 (same size and age as Fire Alarm, planted last fall)
    {{gwi:259614}}

Georgia Peach (3rd year plant), June 1, 2013

• schiba
    10 years ago

Oh, I would love Fire Alarm. My garden has reds and purples. Anyone have a good source?

10 years ago

Schiba, I order most of my heuchras from this place: http://ilovehostas.net/hefial.html

All their plants come in 3 in pots, good size, roots and healthy. Grow well once planted.

Good luck
    Vivian

• marquest
    10 years ago

Thank you vivian. I have been on a couple of Herc forums and so far no turning on heads for Fire Alarm vigor.

TN greenhouse test often give them false vigor vs. normal garden growing results.

10 years ago

ok. After reported earlier this year that I did not know if my Fire Alarm had made through the winter. It did. Its growth started a little later than other heucheras in my garden, but it has been doing well since then. Still not a big plant but the color is very nice. Here is a picture taken today.

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA