Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nutmeg4061

Tellima (Fringe Cups) - another plant in the Heuchera family

nutmeg4061
11 years ago

I'd never heard of this plant until I found it on http://www.hostas.be/engels/e-heuchera%20pictures.htm.

Is anyone familiar with it?

Michelle

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (14)

• kskaren
    11 years ago

I'm not familiar with it, but it sure is a cutie!!
    Karen

• nutmeg4061
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just searched pics of the flowers. Now I know why it's called Fringe Cups. Cute!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• thisismelissa
    11 years ago

LOVE!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

The leaf is beautiful. I would buy it even if it didn't have those cute flowers!

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

In the most recent edition of the magazine "Gardens central" (Ontario Edition) there is an article about heucherellas, tiarellas, and tellimas. Tellima is native to western north america and is most likely to be found in nurseries that specialize in native plants.So it might take a bit of a search to find it. The thrill of the chase!
    Jan

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    11 years ago

I have several tellima plants, they are just starting to bud, I will save seeds if anyone wants to grow them.

Lisa

• stephanie_kay
    11 years ago

That is so.. cute. I would find a place in my small garden for it.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I bought a few small ones and set them lose hoping they'd cover an abused bare area near my brick path. They performed admirably. Sweet leaves, pretty flowers, and carefree. All I do is cut them to the ground right after flowering. Highly recommend.

• kskaren
    11 years ago

Lisa, I would love to have seeds! Do you sow directly, or put in pots first?

Karen

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    11 years ago

Hi Karen,

Seeing as where you are the only one who responded to actually wanting seeds...I could send you out a division of my plant for postage. It would be a small flat rate box which is around $5.....Let me know and I will mail it out and you can send postage after you get the plant.

Lisa

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    11 years ago

I am a huge Tellima fan. I first got mine on the west side of the state, where it naturalizes along the roadsides. It is a cousin of Heuchera, but unlike coral-bells it is NOT a picky plant! It does well in poor soil, in somewhat dark shade (though leans a bit), and even in a good deal of sun. It seeds around a little, but not in an invasive way.

I love the weird-o flowers on them too. The structure of the flower is interesting, but hard to describe. They have balloon like structures (think Silene vulgaris) from which tiny fringed petals emerge. They start out a fantastic lime sorbet color and then fade to a raspberry shade. The foliage is a medium/light matte green and the fall/winter/early spring foliage often has burgundy veining.

Here is a pic of it part sun in my main garden:

CMK

• ginny12
    11 years ago

I have had Tellima for many years. When I bought two plants, the common name was given as Alaskan cup-flower. They have done extremely well thru every kind of weather Boston can come up with. Western plants often don't do well in our very acid soil but this has been great.

They are growing in moist shade with a bit of morning sun. They self-seed modestly so I always have a few to give to friends but they are not invasive at all. No one ever knows what they are so they are kind of a stumper for my garden-y friends.

• devorah
    11 years ago

I just ripped a bunch out this morning. I decided that they are so good at reproducing themselves that it wasn't worth my effort to cut off the spent flower stalks. I do love them. They are such a gorgeus shade of green in spring. I put some in with my hosta so that they will fill the pots with color early in the spring and don't mind being forced to the side when the hosta grow up. I am talking about Tellima grandiflora. We also have foamflower and piggy-back plant - all part of the same family and all willing to live in nearly any set of conditions. Our woods in Washington are full of them

• aquadragonfly
    11 years ago

I haven't been on this side for a few weeks, ishareflowers I wish I had seen your offer for seeds. This is a cute little plant.

:) Aqua