Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
othertime_gw

lime green heuchera with scorched leaves????

othertime
10 years ago

I have three lime green heucheras that are having some issues. All the plants seem to like there position but the lime green ones. They have been growing like gangbusters but are now developing leaves that have this scorch look to them. They get morining sun till about noon. I am in Northern va and they are on the north east side of the house but get shade from noon on.

I put some holly tone around them just as a general fertilizer at low rates and have been watering once a week deep.

Anyone have any ideas??? Thanks

Comments (26)

• othertime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

second picture

• othertime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

grouping picture

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

How old is the garden? Some of mine seem to loose a few when establishing themselves. Very pretty layout. Keep us posted with updates. I am in my 2nd year with heuchera so I am still learning. Paula

• dg
    10 years ago

Really nice color combos! Very inspirational too :-)

Sorry I have no advise about the burn other than the ferts might be too rich for the light color ones. You may need to apply it at a much lower rate than you do the darker heuchs.

Hopefully with time it will settle down.

Deb

• othertime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the comments. I planted this row last fall so its a relatively new bed. Kind of miffed as why only the lime green plants are scorching. Maybe it has to do with the how light they are.????

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

I have a lime green in a row of other colours - it is also the only one that seems to scorch. It is large and healthy looking otherwise - I just remove the offending leaves and it doesn't seem to mind a bit. It gets morning sun, but really doesn't seem to like hot days much.
    Jan

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    10 years ago

I've had the same problem. It is just too much sun for that color. I had to move mine. .

10 years ago

BTW, I really like the reddish leaved one. Can you tell us which one is that?

• othertime
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They green heuchera seems to be growing but still getting the scorched leaves. Each green one put out about 5 new coral bell flower stocks this past week so they have to atleast enjoy a little bit of the area they are in.

Linnea56...I think the red one are called "fire alarm" but will check when I get home and repost if they are not.

10 years ago

Thanks! That red is really eye catching. My "burnt" lime green ones still bloomed; but my dark brown patches looked just like yours. Even a year after planting they still did that. I thought it was too unsightly. I moved them (the ones that lived).

FWIW: I bought a similarly crispy Tiramisu that was marked down some time after. I knew what was wrong with it. I planted it in the shady conditions it likes and it has flourished ever since.

What variety is the problematic green one? I keep hoping IâÂÂll find a yellow green or gold that does not have this problem.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Gorgeous bed of heuchs...I'm envious!

While reading about heucheras, I learned that the darker the leaf color, the more sun tolerant the plant. The dark purple ones are the most sun tolerant and the lime green ones are the least sun tolerant and everything else falls in between the two. I'm guessing that the bed you have them in gets a fair amount of sun and while your purples thrive, your limes are taking a beating.

• dinah9999
    8 years ago

I just planted two Key Lime and one Purple Palace heucheras and two days after planting, the key limes are all wilted and most leaves have died. They are in full shade and are getting lots of water. The soil around them is moist. I amended it before planting with Triple Mix soil containing humus, peat moss and compost. The Purple Palace was doing well until today, and now it has leaves crisping and a few have wilted. Same growing conditions. Is this transplant shock? I've never grown them before and did not know what to expect. Any suggestions to help them survive? I've trimmed the dead leaves. Is there hope that they 'll recover on their own and come back? Thanks anyone!

• cakbu z9 CA
    8 years ago

When I first started with heucheras last year I put them in pots so I could move them around to find just the right location. Most are still in pots, although some I have had to repot when they outgrew the container. I have put just two in the ground - one is doing well the other is not. I find myself continually moving the containers as light conditions change throughout the season. All my container heuchera are doing great and blooming like crazy.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

The lime green ones I've discovered, especially ones with "hairy" surface texture are very easily sunburned or bleached. Mine gets hot sun at hottest time of day but is protected by a spiraea and has not burned. It remains smallish, should be moved but I don't want to risk losing it. It is at least 5 years old.

Pic taken minute ago...it's raining. My arm is holding up spiraea branches...flower scape is being pushed down by water-laden branches. I prune shrub after flowering, exposing the heuchera. It gets a bit brighter, but not bleached looking.

I fried one, my first one, years ago before I learned about their growing habits. Light colours = less sun. Dark colours = more sun. The light texture usually is a tip for me. Does this help at all.?

• dinah9999
    8 years ago

Thank you for your responses. All of my newly planted heucheras and hostas in that bed are now doing very poorly. It's pretty much full shade so sun isn't a problem, but we are in the middle of a scorching heat wave, and I think that this is a combination of transplant shock and excessive heat. The leaves on my lime heucheras are lying on the ground (what's left of them) and the heuchera's leaves are drying up and crispy. The hostas are wilted and all in all, it's a huge mess. Thanks for your picture. I will take one tomorrow to show what I'm talking about. Your lime greens look the picture of health, compared to mine. :-( tyvm ...

8 years ago

Did the heat wave start before you planted? One thing I've learned is not to plant when temperatures will be in the mid 80's or above. Better to wait for cooler weather. Check the weather for at least a week in advance.

• dinah9999
    8 years ago

No, the heat wave wasn't forecast when the plants were bought or when we planted them.

• KarenPA_6b
    8 years ago

Othertime, can it be the reflected heat from the bricks and cement walkway that cause scorching leaves on your lime green heuchera? I have planted a limegreen heuchera in full sun that does not show scorching leaves, though it is growing very slowly. I will post a pic tomorrow.

8 years ago

I think the tendency to show scortch runs in the lineage of some heucheras. Someone mentioned this in a previous thread. My Tiramisu shows some under conditions (shady almost all the time) that other heucheras find ideal. My Caramels in full blazing sun all day, do not. Though leaves look bleached (they are mostly beige, not caramel colored at all, as they would be with some shade), there are no burn marks. You could find out the ancestors of your burnt lime green ones and which cultivars are derived from them, and avoid those, choosing a different lime green in another family line.

• ianna
    8 years ago

are they really scorched? I find it odd that the lower leaves were the ones scorched but not the top leaves. Is it possibly another problem like fertilizer burn or lack of consistent watering?

8 years ago

I think the OP is just using scorch to describe how they look. On mine it appears on the earliest leaves of spring, so it could be leaves that were affected by a cold dip instead, like some hostas have.

I don't fertilize, so on mine it's not that.

• ianna
    8 years ago

it seems only to affect the lower leaves -more like an interruption of watering occurred. in fact some of the top leaves are covering the scorched ones. Rather odd if that was caused by the sun as the top leaves would be affected first. its more about something occuring at the bottom. Perhaps the leaves are old and are about to drop off. or that they were damaged when planted out.

As long as the 'scorching' is not progressing to the top leaves, i believe the plant is fine.

• dinah9999
    8 years ago

I realize that I posted on the wrong thread. My problems are not with "scorch" as the plants are in full shade. The Key Limes have wilted and lie flat on the ground with many leaves faded and dead. Many of the Purple Palace's leaves curled and turned crispy and died. The hostas wilted also and flopped. It is not the watering, the sun or the soil. I can't help but think that it's transplant shock combined with unexpected, extreme heat even though they are in the shade. I will try another thread on these problems, but thank everyone for their responses.

• ianna
    8 years ago

oh my gosh.. is it possible its 'sudden wilt'? I have had that problem on many types of plants after a particularly rainy season.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio