Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

A Few Pics From Today

don_in_colorado
9 years ago

Hello Heuchie-Friends,

I still don't have many heucheras, but I do have a few nice pics I'd like to share with you all...

This is, of course, 'Caramel' sited next to a great hosta, 'Journey's End'. I love this clash of colors, they're workin for me.

Comments (38)

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This one may be 'Circus,' love it's flowerscapes.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Heucheras add so much to the green garden, they always seem to match green, no matter what color the heucheras may be.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Over by the pond...

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Georgia Peach I know has gotten extremely popular. I can see why.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Please, if you would, give me a few varieties that you heucheraholics think would work best in this bed of fragrant hostas.

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoy the pics!

Cheers,
    Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Don, how much sun does that bed get?

• southerngardening24
    9 years ago

great pics! I only have 6 different types of heucheras and plan on adding many more. They are great plants.

• HeuchHogan
    9 years ago

Nice pics, thanks for sharing.
    For me, Carnival Watermelon is challenging Georgia Peach for my favorite.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FF, the bed pictured gets direct sun from about 7 am until 11 am, then it's in bright shade for the rest of the afternoon.

Thanks,
    Don B.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Well, with that amount of sunlight at that time of day, you could pretty much go with any heuchera that you like. Since you seem to like the contrasting colors, I'll include pics of my favorites. As you know, I have a lot of them. I'll try not to overwhelm you with too many pictures.

'Zipper' is my brightest and most textural by far. It's pretty hard to beat. In the fall, it turns bright red.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Obsidian' is super dark and a great plant.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Dolce Cinnamon Curls' is a brand new variety with a riot of color. Mine's still small, but I think it shows a lot of promise.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Here's a small one for the front of the bed called 'Frost'. It offers great color with lots of veins, which I like. It only gets about 9" across.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Root Beer' is a great one for color.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

If you don't already have 'Berry Smoothie', you've got to add it to your garden. Here it is mid-season. It's crazy bright in the spring.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

If you want one with bright color and huge leaves, then 'Beaujolais' is for you. This one gets about as big as a medium-sized hosta.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Hercules' gets huge and has cool, splotchy leaves. The pink flowers really stand out on this one.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Dolce Peach Melba' is a good one. It stands out nicely when paired with blue and/ or green hostas. That's hosta 'June' in the background.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

This is a nice purple called 'Berry Marmalade'. The leaves are glossy, which is kind of unusual.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Green Spice' has that "wow" factor. The leaves have even more color contrast in the early spring.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Cracked Ice' is a really cool heucherella. The leaves change colors quite often. It's noticeably tri-colored in the fall.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Mahogany' is another gorgeous colored one. It's leaves are shiny and it's truly the color of rich mahogany wood. Good grower as well.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Spellbound' is a gorgeous purple overlayed heavily with silver. The leaves get quite large on this one.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Cajun Fire' is a good one as well. It has heavy leaf substance and rich color. The new growth is reddish burgundy. This one sits in a lot of sun, which might explain the strange color on the lower leaves. Kind of cool, though.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

I like 'Raspberry Ice' a lot. The color is unusual and it gets huge.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Heucherella 'Buttered Rum' is another one for great color. I also like the shape of the leaves. Kind of remind me of maple leaves.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Heucherella 'Gunsmoke' is an unusual color. It looks grat paired with heuchera 'Obsidian'.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Last one...'Midnight Ruffles'. This is a good one for color and texture.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Uh.......WOW! Spellbound...Raspberry Ice...Cracked Ice...Thanks so much, FF! Almost every single one of these you posted are really great, not a dog in the bunch.

Don B.

• nutmeg4061
    9 years ago

Don, when I look at your planting area in question, I see Huechs in all of the dark purple, plum, red, cherry type colors. I think they would add a layer of depth to your wonderful hosta selection. Then add some greens with dark accents, like Hercules and Green Spice above, and a green/purple Sashay would be another great addition.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sashay

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nutmeg, I like the way you think. Those are great ideas, and I was thinking of the darker purple, plum-like colors as being very appropriate with the shades of green. Thank you!

Don B.

• vivian_2010 (IL Zone 5a)
    9 years ago

Don, You garden is beautiful. Nice companion plants and good eyes to find the right matches for them and the hostas!

FF, as always, your pictures have been the enablers for me to keep getting more even though I am running out of space and started to use pots.

I have been traveling for work for a while so can't wait to get home and see how my hostas and heucheras are doing.

Vivian

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Vivian.

Don B.

• hostas_for_barb
    9 years ago

What, what great pics. I'm just starting to add a few heucheras to my Hosta collection and now my must have list has just grown!

• hostas_for_barb
    8 years ago

Well flower_frenzy, based on our beautiful pic from last year, I picked up Berry Smoothie the other day. Hoping it turns out half as lovely as yours.

• jmcdmd
    8 years ago

Very nice post. Thanks.

• posierosie_zone7a
    8 years ago

Flower Frenzy. What an incredibly informative post! Thank you.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County