Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purple Palace turning green

Posted by Linda444 none (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 8:55

I have Purple Palace coral bells, but they all turn green by the end of June. Does anyone know why this happens? They do not get much direct sun as we have many mature trees. How much sunlight do they need to maintain the purple color? Will something other than sunlight bring the purple color back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purple Palace turning green

Mine are changing color as well. Read my post, just a couple down from yours about Heuchera Color.
I have 4 different varieties and 3 of the 4 are turning an ugly brownish w/green underneath...it's a hard to describe color. I should try to post some photos.

o

The green heuchera need less light. As for heucheras with color dark leaves need sunlight to keep a deep color. Most of mine including the blacks are in direct sunlight. They just need more water. You should move it or put it in a pot to be moved around for sun.

o

Also, I believe new growth may be truer to color then it matures to green.

o

If I remember correct Palace Purple always matures to green, it is only the fresh new growth that is purple.

I shovel pruned it long ago when better purples came along.

o

This is mine, it is always this color except when the heat really hits. Then it turns the ugly browning unless I water, water, water...sometimes I do some years I don't.
I have had it since 2007 doesn't seem to lose it's color no matter where it is planted.
:)Aqua

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here