Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proudgrma

'Melting fire', has anyone had it? Or another idea?

proudgrma
9 years ago

I'm looking for a heuchera that will tolerate hot afternoon sun and is deep reddish/purplish in color. I want it to repeat the color of my dwarf Japanese Maple. I've seen 'melting fire' online, but of course, it's always hard to know what the color is "in person". Is anyone familiar with it? Is it dependable? Does the foliage hold it's color when planted in a sunny location? Perhaps you have another suggestion. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• jadie88
    9 years ago

I just posted on the other melting fire post, but wanted to add here that I think it would be a nice match for the color of a Japanese maple. I have it near some painted ferns, and the burgundy colors really play off eachother.

However, if anything is on the table, I do think some others hold their color better. In the reds category, I have Galaxy, Fire Chief, and Big Top Burgandy...they are more colorful than MF, and so far they seem to be fine in a lot of sun.

• proudgrma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Are the others you mentioned a deep red, or are they a brighter red/orangey? Thanks for responding.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

I have 2 'Melting Fire' plants. The one in the shade holds its color much better than the one in the sun. Both tend to go a bit green in the summer, though.

You might try a newer one called 'Cinnamon Curls' if you want one that tends to lean towards red. I have mine in sun all day and it holds its color well. Another I like is 'Crimson Curls'. It's a really good grower and it fits into the reddish purple category.

I think 'Galaxy' would be another good choice for you, as jadie mentioned. It's dark, not bright or orangey. 'Cajun Fire' would be another outstanding choice. The color is very rich and it's one of my favorites.

Are you looking for something with more red in it, or more purple? I have a few more recommendations if the latter.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Here are a few that might fit the bill:

'Midnight Ruffles'

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Berry Marmalade' is a little more in the purple side with red in it.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

A dark one called 'Black Taffeta'.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Another dark one called 'Creole Nights'.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Galaxy' is on the red side of things...at least in my garden it is.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

'Beaujolais' is the largest heuchera I have.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

This last one is called 'Cajun Fire'.

I should note that all heuchera and kin will turn at least somewhat green in the hot summer months, especially if grown in full sun. All of the ones I have pictured are growing in full sun and keep their color better than some others I have.

• proudgrma
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So helpful, thanks. And, yes, I am looking more toward the deep red color. Your 'Beaujolaais' looks closest in color to what I want. Will it tolerate mostly sun? Does it hold it's color? Thank you again.

• flower_frenzy
    9 years ago

Yes, 'Beaujolais' tolerates a lot of sun and holds its color nicely. It gets very large. The one in the picture is over 2' across and about 20" tall. The leaves are 5-7 inches across.