Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question for Ginny RE Heuchera 'Frosted Violet'

Posted by vivian_2010 IL 5a (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 12:45

Hi Ginny,

I was searching on information about Heuchera 'Frosted Violet' and found your 2007 post. How have they been performing in your garden? Specifically what is their sun exposure? Did they retain the color during the summer (like 2012)?

I have been looking for a big and tall Heucheras for part of the garden that gets a lot of sun (almost full sun). I have Obsidian (which I really like except the blooms which I cut off) and a few others. But most of them are a little too small for the location.

Thank you in advance.
Vivian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question for Ginny RE Heuchera 'Frosted Violet'

Hi Vivian, I see we are in the same zone 5a tho I am in MA.

I had to check my notes. I planted them in containers on my deck in 2007 where they got about five hours of full sun and very bright shade the rest of the time. On the deck, they got diligent care--watered and Miracle Gro'ed every day like my annuals there. They held their color perfectly and were gorgeous except too many flowers!! because of all that Miracle Gro and I don't like heuchera flowers as a rule.

That fall I planted them in the garden. Fall planting has never worked for me here. They declined the next year because the spot is way too dry and mostly high shade They almost disappeared the next year, 2009, for the same reasons and now they are completely gone.

Gee, I hate confessing my horticultural sins here!! :) But throughout all this they kept their color. Hope this helps.

o

Hi Ginny,

Thanks for the info and sorry to hear about your experience with Frost Violet. I will perhaps get 1 to try this year and see how it goes. I do most of my new planting and dividing and moving in fall (late Sept and early Oct). This way I do not have to worry too much about watering throughout the summer. I have not lost any plants so far and they always do well next spring. Perhpas my climate is more forgiving during winter time as long as we get good snow.

Thanks again.
Vivian

o

Hi Vivian, my zone is 5a/b. I lost about 4 heuchera to winter kill this past winter. I should probably have mulched and watered as soon as the snow disappeared. Anyhow FV has survived, located in minimal sun for the last 3 seasons.

o

Thank you Irawon for the information. I will give it a try and start with one this year.
Vivian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here