Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone identify this one?

Posted by buyorsell888 Zone 8 Portland OR (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 5, 12 at 13:29

I have had this one twenty years so it isn't new. The foliage is plain green and it has this crazy amount of pink flowers every year. It was given to me as a division from an elderly lady customer of mine (I was a florist) and she only knew it as coral bells. I've never seen one for sale anywhere or in any public or private garden tours.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone identify this one?

Close up of the flowers, the spikes are at least two feet tall.

o

It's pretty, whatever it is!

Deanna

o

I have that same one but have no idea what it is. I moved here 20 years ago and it was established here then. It's a tough one though.

o

I have that one - purchased from the store as "CORAL BELLS"....LOL Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I just wanted to say, yours is HUGE!!!!! Can't wait for my little guy planted this year to start to be a show like that (although in fairness, he has been blooming since end of April!!! LOL

o

Those flower spikes are two feet tall. Still going strong for weeks now.

o

Pretty amazing plant. Do you suppose it might be the original "choral bells" that everyone grew before the plant breeders got involved? It was grown for its flowers, and would have predated Palace Purple which I understand was the first dark leaved discovery.
Jan

o

I certainly had it long before I ever succumbed to 'Palace Purple's alluring purple foliage.

It did come from an elderly lady in an old part of town full of old rock gardens.

o

Wow! That's a lot of flowers.

Karen

o

Yes that's the common green variety we called Coral Bells about 30 years ago. That was before the explosion of color in Heuchera foliage. These plants were grown for their flowers as you can see in buyorsell's pic above. I had several of these in my first perennial garden.

In the new Heuchera flowers have taken a back seat to the foliage. While there are many new beautiful varieties, I think the best plants are those in which the flowers and foliage compliment one another. Imagine a profusion of pink flowers like those above over a deep purple foliage like Obsidian or Dark Secret. That would be a plant worth having.

Steve

o

I think this is Bressingham Hybrids, per floota in another thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dale's Strain

o

Sure looks like Heuchera micrantha 'Martha Roderick'.
The foliage is usually a tight mound with feathery sprays of pink flowers. Just give it a google, I have a small collection of Heucheras, just love them.

o

Yes, it sure does look like that one. Thanks

o

I do have one of the Bressingham Hybrids but this one has many more smaller flowers. I do think it is Heuchera micrantha 'Martha Roderick'

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here