Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Obsidian?

Posted by ginny12 z5 MA (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 14:51

I just bought four of these and can't seem to find much about them tho Obsidian is not brand-new. The color is a gorgeous deep purple. Has anyone grown this cultivar and can share info about how it does? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Obsidian?

Hi Ginny,

I have four Obsidian for 3 years. They are by far my favorite deep Purple heucheras, and the only one that retained the nice deep purple and shing color among my purple ones throughout the hot and dry summer last year. Mine gets several hours of afternoon sun. They grow fast and retain the neat and compact shape.

Hope you will enjoy yours as much as I have with mine.

Vivian

o

Thanks for that, Vivian. That is good news. The plants are beautiful and I can't wait to plant them.

o

My absolute favorite! Some might be showier, but boy, Obsidian is tough! Full sun, hot location, no fading.

o

In full-sun, Obsidian flourishes where my other heucheras would protest. Surprisingly, not the deepest black out there, Binoche is darker, but the shape of her leaves is very pretty.

o

BTW, I cut off the flower stems as they are the only part I do not like about Obsidian. Just my own opinion. Other than that, Obsidian is perfect.

o

Mine has been in an above-ground planter for about 4-5 years. It has performed very well with little to no care. I love it and would replace it in a minute if it were lost.

Haven't experimented with dividing it. I'm pretty content to just leave it alone.

[Oh, by the way: It stays outdoors in the planter year-round].

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here