Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alina_1

My Heuchera picture is stolen by online seller!

alina_1
11 years ago

I guess I made a good picture ;)

Garden Harvest Supply (one of my favorite sellers BTW) is using my picture without a permission:

http://www.gardenharvestsupply.com/ProductCart/pc/Black-Out-Heuchera-Plant-p5117.htm

Here is my original picture:

{{gwi:201673}}

Comments (7)

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    11 years ago

That is it! Interesting. Let us know what you decide to do. It is a very nice plant. I can see why they would want to use it. Have a great grow day, Paula

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

OMG, I can't believe that!

Deanna

• floota
    11 years ago

Don't feel alone. I have had dozens of my daylily images used without permission over the years. (( on lily auction and other sites.) When I do find these, or when someone notifies me, I call the people's hands and tell them this is MY intellectual property and they either need to acknowledge me as photographer or remove the pictures. In all but one instance, people have been cooperative.

• alina_1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know I am not alone... I do not even count Ebay listings with my pictures. And one of the online sellers in UK was using my picture of Lily Landini for many years.

Your photos are beautiful Floota! You were one of those who got me into trouble with Daylilies :)

I contacted GHS. They responded immediately and offered bonus points for my future purchase or removing the picture. I chose bonus points - will definitely buy from this site again. They are having a sale right now - will post info in a separate thread.

• teacher77358
    11 years ago

I'm a "stealer" of photos for my Nursery at our site and our storefront on eBay, but I try diligently to give credit for the photos...if there is someone who claims the pics as theirs. In some cases we send an email and ask permission first....in most cases though, we can find pics that are not "authored", copy-righted or claimed. These are usually accompanied by my own practical pics of me holding examples for size and color in my hand, or sitting next to a coke can for perspective! Many times the original photos are used only as long as the plant I am trying to show has not bloomed at the nursery as yet...because when it does I take sufficient pics myself!! see above....JT
    PS...Heuchera is doing quite well under the pines in East to EasternCentral Texas 65 miles up IH-45 from Houston in God's Country of New Waverly!!!

• Cher
    11 years ago

Good rule of thumb and actually quite easy. If it's not yours, it belongs to someone else. Read up on copyright laws. Copyright occurs at the very moment of creation. Technically nothing has to be written on it with copyright any longer. The only reason it's done by some is because of all the people that think it's ok to take from others. I personally would never buy from someone that steals. Tells me if they would steal that the rest of their practices can not be trusted either.
    Cher

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

chohio is right, if you didn't take the photo it isn't yours to use especially for commercial use, without permission.