Return to the Heuchera Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's wrong with two of the four?

Posted by weekendweeder 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 17:59

There used to be six of these Palace Purples, all planted in a stand. Two of them did not survive the winter. One of them (#2 from left) ended up being kind of runty this year. Then just this past week #1 from the left, which had been as big and vigorous as #3 and #4, started to wilt. I thought it could possibly be root competition (from a spruce), but I dug them up and the roots look fine. No root competition or critter/pest damage. All in the same bed with about the same light and water. What might be wrong?

Here is the stand:

Heuchera Palace Purple

Here are #1 and #2:

Heuchera Palace Purple #1 and #2

Here are #3 and #4:

Heuchera Palace Purple #3

Heuchera Palace Purple #4

Would appreciate any insight and suggestions. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's wrong with two of the four?

Have you watered it? I water mine daily or every other day as I know the trees are sucking up the moisture here. We have rain about once a month right now so everyone is getting extra attention.

o

Looks like crown rot. I have lost a couple to this and I have yet to figure it out myself. Help me too. Paula

o

Thanks for the responses. CindyCRNA, I think they've been getting water. When I dug them up the ground was neither soaked nor parched. And Paula, I tried to search for images of crown rot but could not find anything helpful on Google. I assumed it would be obvious--like a mushy crown? Oh, I am so confused.

o

A while back I asked the same question but we were still on the Hosta forum. I was told crown rot. It was not soft or mushy but these babies were going south fast. Here is a photo of mine.
Bad crown rot

o

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember the thread. What did you end up doing? Last year I didn't amend the soil as consistently as I am with this year's plantings, so drainage could very well be the issue. Thanks for your pictures.

o

I threw them over the back fence into the drainage ditch and bought new ones. The new ones have been doing great. I lost all 4 that I had bought that day from a back rack sale at Lowe's even tho they were in excellent condition.

o

Thanks for reporting back. Haven't yet decided what to put into those spots.

o

Mine look like the first pics when root weevils eat all their roots. :( I can just lift them up like they are a toupee and see the roots are gone when this happens.

o

Yeah, that toupee thing happened to the first two, and I thought they just didn't survive the winter. The weevils already found one of my rhodies, but I'm not sure how to use Tanglefoot on heuchera? How did you deal with the weevils, buyorsell?

o

I mostly ignore them and buy new plants. I buy Orthene to spray but then forget to spray. I hate to spray anyway because of all the froggies in my yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Heuchera Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here