Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyslopes_z5ut

Heuchera Caramel Does it Flower?

I have several Caramels around the yard in varying light/sun exposures. They're the biggest heuchera I have, already being large when I bought them two years ago. Again this year it looks like they're the only ones not flowering except a few other kinds that are in deep shade. Do yours flower? Any pictures so I can see what they look like?

Comments (8)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Mine is just starting to send up flowers now. A bit later blooming than others, it seems. Mine gets a couple of hours of direct afternoon sun, the rest of the time is dappled shade, and full shade in the evening when the sun makes its way on the other side of the house.

Karen

• nutmeg4061
    11 years ago

Same as Karen, mine is just starting. Dappled shade and afternoon sun.

Michelle

• floota
    11 years ago

Here's a pic I took of Caramel just a few hours ago. It is just beginning to flower here and many others are near finishing.

• Cindy
    11 years ago

Mine have not and neither is Citronelle but all my others have.

• Renee48
    11 years ago

My book on Heucheras say, Caramel is a vigorous plant but is a shy bloomer. Check out the following link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Botanical Garden

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! Almost all of my heuchera are flowering now (except deep shade and new ones), but it seems like this one is a little later than most so I'll have to be more patient. The picture and the link are helpful. Who would have thought a big guy like Caramel would be shy about its little pink blooms? :-)

I thought the bigger the plant, the more flowers it would put out. I see it's not that way. I don't feel like I know very much about heucheras yet, but I really like them for the color they add to shadier areas. It's so nice to have this forum.

• Liz321
    11 years ago

I just got a small Carmel this week and am in love! It is my first one and I just don't know where to plant it. I have one small bed of large Hosta that is largely shade - it is northern facing and next to my garage, but the one spot open is at the sunniest end of the bed. It is also next to some volunteer trillium so I don't know if there is enough sun.
    The other is a Hosta bed that is west facing, but the sun is hot enough that my blue hosta are burning and it is only mid-June.
    How big do these beauties really get and what is it's preferred sun? I am in metro detroit - either zone 5b or 6 depending on the year. :)

• tepelus
    11 years ago

Mine so far, guessing, is about 14-15" across and almost as tall. Mine grows where it gets morning dappled shade, afternoon sun for about three hours or so, then more dappled shade then full shade when the shadow of the house shade it. If kept watered it shouldn't burn too much with more sun. I think most heuchera grow better if they have a few hours of sun rather than full shade. Caramel seems to be enjoying it.

Karen

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions